Frame paint?

I use valspar semi-gloss tractor paint in a spray can. tractor supply carries it. seriously tough paint. its the same paint john deere sells.

This...is what I was thinking. Never used it, but I figured it would work pretty good for this application. What did you do to prep it? How long ago did you do it, and how well has it held up?

Went to napa today and did NOT find chassis saver on the shelf or in the computer. will hit car quest in the morning. Anyone else have other suggestions? I don't really want to spend the money and wait on por 15 but will if I have to...

Just looked this chassis saver up and it says you can apply over rust? Has anyone been successful doing so?

Yeah on several salt trucks now for folks. Take a wire wheel and knock the heavy rust down, hose it off, let it dry and paint. Ill never ise anything else.

POR-15 is good stuff but READ the can carefully . . .

The can says: DO NOT GET IT ON SKIN, THE ONLY THING THAT REMOVES POR-15 IS TIME

They arent kidding . . .

I have 2 friends that were doing a frame about 8 yrs ago and as the night went on and the booze ran out they went to the heavy stuff.

After that bottle was finished off they thought it would be a good idea to have a POR-15 fight. So out into the yard they went each with a can of paint and a 4" deck brush.

IT DIDN'T END WELL . . . . . It took weeks for it to all finally wear off . . . .

Last edited:
About to do this sometime soon, going to lift the cab off and hopefully get everything right. Do you guys like the gloss or satin-antique finish? How many gallons/quarts does it take for frame usually? Thanks

About to do this sometime soon, going to lift the cab off and hopefully get everything right. Do you guys like the gloss or satin-antique finish? How many gallons/quarts does it take for frame usually? Thanks

Or should I just find some tractor paint since it will cost 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price of chassis saver?

I washed my frame many many times with degreaser in attempt to get this clean. Sealed it with rust inhibitor and then primed and painted with a flat black rust paint.

I have used almost 2 gallons of primer and paint each on mine but I also paints the axles, underside of the bed, and some drivetrain components.

I washed my frame many many times with degreaser in attempt to get this clean. Sealed it with rust inhibitor and then primed and painted with a flat black rust paint.

I have used almost 2 gallons of primer and paint each on mine but I also paints the axles, underside of the bed, and some drivetrain components.

Sounds like its going to be the tractor paint then, chassis saver is too rich for me! Do you have any pics of the final product?

If you have spray gear, got to cat and buy a gallon of their medium black. Damn good paint and only 50 bucks a gallon. Comes on sale for 30 a gallon a couple times a year.

Just ordered 1 gallon and 1 quart of chassis saver. On ebay if you buy a gallon you get a free quart.

Stripping and blasting a excursion frame. Anyone know how far this stuff goes? I suspect I'll need more than 5 quarts, but don't know.

Any of this avaliable in custom colors?? got the frame stripped on the 2wd and trying to figure out which way to go.. I was thinking gun metal grey....

You can top coat por-15 or eastwood products with auto paint. another option would be AL's liner. <-- that stuff can be tinted to any color including pearls and flakes.
Any of this avaliable in custom colors?? got the frame stripped on the 2wd and trying to figure out which way to go.. I was thinking gun metal grey....

Back