Frame Paint?

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
I have a bare chassis in front of me, what should I use to paint it? I plan to wire wheel the few bits of rust off of it then what??? Primer, Paint? Special kind of durable paint? This is a pulling truck app.
Brandon

My 2nd gen frame is coated in POR 15. Seems to be holding up good, but doesnt really see any street time.

My 2nd gen frame is coated in POR 15. Seems to be holding up good, but doesnt really see any street time.

POR 15 is very nice, but it is known for peeling off in sheets once a chip is present.

Call rustguy! I talked to Mike at rustguy.com all you need is the rust converter to stop rust for good and he also sells paint that will flex not break or chip when the frame is torqued while pulling. The rust converter is the best product I've seen thus far. website http://www.rustguy.com or the number 1-866-787-8489, Also it used in farming apps so you know it has to be tough

powdercoat it i got a guy in dayton that does it reasonable if you are gonna keep it for awhile and want it to look good he did mine inside and out on a boxed frame pm me if you want his num.

just use some kentucky chrome spray paint it will look real nice clark

Truck bed coating has worked best for me. Either rustoleum or dupli color truck bed coating. I did dupli color on my 45' gooseneck 4 years ago and it has held up good but did fade so I am covering it in TSC gloss black. I am currently doing another trailer and I am going to cover it in Al's liner and see how well it holds up.

I am in the process of wire brushing, rust treatment sprey from pep boys and then painting a glossy black rustoleum enamel. A guy I know did the enamel on his trailer 4 years ago and it still looks new today. A gallon of enamel can be had for $32.

powdercoat it i got a guy in dayton that does it reasonable if you are gonna keep it for awhile and want it to look good he did mine inside and out on a boxed frame pm me if you want his num.

I agree; powdercoats the only thing thats truely going to last, and compared to products like POR 15 it is'nt that much more expensive. I had mine powdercoated for around $500, and am really happy with the results...

101_1909.jpg

POR 15 is great. I recently did my 99 f250 with the body on. Looks awesome. I just did it over the current rust/condition. I did my axles/leafs/frame/tow hooks/reciever. I love the way it looks.

Just keep in mind the por 15 does not have uv blocker so if anything is going to be exposed to sunlight you clear coat it

I agree; powdercoats the only thing thats truely going to last, and compared to products like POR 15 it is'nt that much more expensive. I had mine powdercoated for around $500, and am really happy with the results...

101_1909.jpg

That is just sexy!!! Wonder how well it will hold up to chipping and flexing though.

I use this stuff called rust bullet. It works great, I even use it to paint farm implements and they don't rust even sitting outside all year round. I used some on the bottom of the doors on my truck, it kills/seals the rust in. I believe its along the same lines as POR15

I have sandblasted 6 frames (only one myself started coughing up blood from the silica sand said F that never again) I get them done for 300 witch is a good deal i think. I have powdercoated 3 of them and it looked money for a long time exept that if rocks hit it hard it chips and ****en takes chunks out kind of a piss off. Best and cheapest way to get it powder coated find a big place that does it and ask them when there running a certain color throw and then ask them to put it trough when its the one you want cost me 285 each for all of mine. Another way is to use endura epoxy paint stuff is really strong $900 for 5 gallons stole this **** from my drilling rig we paint everything with it. Stuff is super strong doesnt peal or chip my truck still has a mint frame and i beat it. Its been in the bush for the last 2 years, salt and rocks have not changed it much.

Last edited:
Back