Freeze Plug Plate Install Help

DieselFan808

Any pointers on how to get the block freeze plug out so i can install the plate?? I have the head off, so i have a little more room to play with.
Many words and scraped knuckles later, still as if i haven't touched it.

Use a 1/4 ratchet and run a self tapper screw in it. Tie something to the screw head so you can retrieve it, then use a pry bar on a extension or something and push it in. Then retrieve it and yank it out with a pliers.

Grind a slit in it, get a pry bar in it and pry away. It's a fun time.

You talking about the one on the back of the block, above the transmission, right?

Use a 1/4 ratchet and run a self tapper screw in it. Tie something to the screw head so you can retrieve it, then use a pry bar on a extension or something and push it in. Then retrieve it and yank it out with a pliers.

I guess I don't have the same finesse as you :lolly:
That was actually the first thing i tried with no luck.
Then i tried a drill, it's a very tight squeeze, but my retarded hands kept locking up on me in those positions.

I'll try it again tomorrow. :cheer:

Grind a slit in it, get a pry bar in it and pry away. It's a fun time.

How'd you grind into it? I never thought of that! I guess I can try my dremel with the little cut off wheel?

Last edited:
On my 2nd gen truck, I took a long piece of round stock and put a little bend in it to reach the plug. Think I ground one end almost to a point. I could tap the soft plug to turn it.

All mine were taken out by hitting one side to get them to spin in the hole. I just grabbed them with pliers after that.

I'm out here right now with my dremel and the longest pry bar I can get my hands on. The ends on it are sharpened a bit.
Hopefully this'll do it.

Long bar and hit one side of it. It'll push the other side out. Then grab it and pull it out. Sometimes you have to man handle them a little so hit it with your purse a little harder.

on mine it wasnt the size of the pry bar it was how I used it. Story of my life.

Lol. No success getting it out.
I'm seriously about to order the plate itself with no hole.

If you cut a slit just try rotating it in a circle after the pry bar is in it. I used a small pry bar, maybe a foot long. Pryed both sides of the slit to try and shrink the o.d. some if any.

Got it.
Used the curved end of the pry bar and tapped it with a small hammer.
Once it shifted a bit, I began to tap it with the hammer itself.
Turned, grabbed end with vise grip and pulled.
Thanks guys.

[ame="http://s288.photobucket.com/user/DieselFan808/media/IMG_20150404_142434244_zpsrecmm1dw.jpg.html"]IMG_20150404_142434244_zpsrecmm1dw.jpg Photo by DieselFan808 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s288.photobucket.com/user/DieselFan808/media/IMG_20150404_160252259_HDR_zpst9akfcbs.jpg.html"]Plate Installed With Eaton Plug. Photo by DieselFan808 | Photobucket[/ame]

&the little helper
[ame="http://s288.photobucket.com/user/DieselFan808/media/IMG_20150404_160718311_zpspp2zyx9x.jpg.html"]IMG_20150404_160718311_zpspp2zyx9x.jpg Photo by DieselFan808 | Photobucket[/ame]

Back