friends 00 has hard start in the cold

dixon700

cummins fanatic
First off I don't know a whole lot about a powerstroke. he has a 2000 7.3 when it's below like 40* his truck won't start unless it's been plugged in for a couple hours. The injectors are relatively new I'm not sure on the brand or exact mileage. He replaced a return line, glow plug relay, and tested thay the glow plugs are working. Neither of us have a scan tool that will read the icp or the oil psi to see if it's just a sensor or something. There is no smoke when it's cranking. I told him to get to a Ford dealer and have them check the fuel and high psi oil pump. Not really anything else to do without some sort of scan tool right?

Id replace the glow plug harness if that hasnt been done. ussually always that or bad glow plugs from my experience

Running 5w40 and HotShotSeceret has done me wonders. I can start my 97 down to -5°f before needing it plugged in.

Id say see if the glow/injector harness is shot. my guesses are if its never been replaced it needs to! been a few times where that was the issue to a customers problems. How many miles on the pickup? never had much issues with my 7.3 start in the cold with the stock 250k mile HPOP running stage 1s. I tell customers to run 5w-40 in winter in their 7.3 all the time. The viscocity difference makes a huge difference in start up. can really see it in a 6.0

Id say see if the glow/injector harness is shot. my guesses are if its never been replaced it needs to! been a few times where that was the issue to a customers problems. How many miles on the pickup? never had much issues with my 7.3 start in the cold with the stock 250k mile HPOP running stage 1s. I tell customers to run 5w-40 in winter in their 7.3 all the time. The viscocity difference makes a huge difference in start up. can really see it in a 6.0
I believe it's somewhere right around 200k it has larger injectors, but I'm not sure what size. I believe somewhere around 100hp. What's the best way to test the harness?
Also I'll recommend to him running 5w-40 and maybe try some of the hot shots oil additive. Also is there any non syethetic 5w-40 oils? I don't think he wants to run a synthetic oil.

on the driver side head on the fron unplug that sensor and see if it will start. thats your ICP sensor. unplug it and see if it will start. if it does that means sensor is bad. when its unplugged it goes to a default setting. also what injectors? if he went to single shot without custom tuning it for single shots that could be his issue aswell?

I'll tell him about the sensor and to try that. I believe they are beans diesel injectors he just got the truck a couple thousand miles ago. So i have no idea if they would be single shot or not.

Back