Front Axles - 4000 or 3300 lb?

Billy Boy

I just bought an 89 W350 dually, 5 speed , two wheel drive (first diesel). I need to replace both upper A-Arms (my brother - bbtank45 - was the one that posted another thread about a week ago). I need to determine whether the front axles are 3300 or 4000 lb? Any help? Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Thanks...any suggestions on where to get the upper A-Arms? Dodge has them for about $200 each but I would like to find them aftermarket or used for less.

Also, what do you think of the DennyT Stage II Fuel Pin? I was reading another thread and that seems to be the recommended pin to use...just wanted to get your personal opinion on it. Any other suggestions on pulling a little more HP/torque out of it? Thanks again for your help!

Couldn't tell you where else to get them, I don't know, sorry.

bbtank, all the diesels have the 4,000lb axle and the gassers had the 3300lb, so when we need parts, we have to say 4,000, even though they will tell you a 250 will have the 3300lb.

If your truck is 2wd, it is a D350, like mine, not a W350. The D series trucks are 2wd, and the W series trucks are 4wd. Also, we don't have a front "axle", the 4wd trucks have a Dana 60, we don't, unless someone converted it.

I love my DennyT cone, and it made a very noticable difference in my auto, so it shoud be a real bid difference in a 5spd. I would have no problem spending the $105 again, (it was actually $100 shipped when I got mine though...) and it is easy to install.

You can get it on Denny T Performance | First Gen Dodges and I beleive that site has instructions.

A great mod for these trucks is the 366 spring, which replaces the stock governor spring. The 366 spring allows the truck to FUEL to 3200 RPM, where the stock spring limited fueling to around 2400 RPM. Very helpful with the 2-3 shift.

Before any fueling mods, especially in a Non I/C truck with the big injectors and small turbo, I would suggest gauges. Al least pyro and fuel pressure, and I would also suggest a boost gauge.

If you need links on how to install the 366 spring, or DennyT cone let me know, I'll post them up. Or if you need more information on how to make her run a little better, I'll answer any other questions I can.

Thanks so much for the information and I'll take note of the corrections...the guages and fuel pin were my first plans, and I will probably go ahead and get the governor spring as well. I've heard turning the star wheel and adjusting the timing are common upgrades as well? I'm new to the diesel world and the help you gave makes a big difference to me.

I actually found them used in a boneyard in Kansas. I am told they are in great condition. I figured $100 for both upper control arms, including shipping, was worth the gamble. Still waiting to get them in the mail though, so we'll see what happens.

The parts showed up yesterday, they looked good, and the truck is up and running now. Spent some time last night putting my first miles on it.

Thanks Chase, looking forward to driving the new truck out to Schieds in a few weeks. Did you say if you were going or not?

The parts showed up yesterday, they looked good, and the truck is up and running now. Spent some time last night putting my first miles on it.

Good to hear. How are you liking the old girl? From your avatar picture she looks real good.

My personal favorite trucks are Regular cab, 2wd, dually 1st Gens. I don't think anything looks better.

Post some pics of her.

As far as the timing, yes it is a mod that a lot of people do. A 1/8" bump is good for a close to stock truck, and is supposed to net better fuel mileage, lower EGT's and give more top end power. It will sacrifice a little low end power though.

Here is a link to a YouTube user who has video's a=of the timing bump, and others you might find useful.

YouTube - 91CTD's Channel

When is Scheid? I might make my way up there as well.

Parker

Dont forget to get a front end alignment with your new control arms. Your tires will thank you in the long run. Only issue is finding a shop that will do a decent front end alignment.

Welcome to the world of 1stGens. Mechanical controls, few electronics, and real easy to hop up.

Dan

Peobryant, I will have to get some pics up here. I just moved back to school this week and finally have the internet again! Pics will be coming very soon. The truck is in decent shape...it has its rusty spots (as most do) but it was a Texas truck until about 5 years ago. A second coat of paint from several years back helped slow the corrosion. A sandblast and repaint of the current rims will make the truck look much better. I'm planning on painting the rims black though. Anybody ever run a set of regular steel wheels on the front? I've thought of replacing the front stock dually wheels with some inexpensive aftermarket ones...any advice?

In the meantime, though, I have ordered a DennyT Stage II fuel pin and installed it last night after getting back from the NTPA Championship in Bowling Green, Ohio. I turned up the starwheel while I was in there too. I'm loving the upgrade and the truck for the cheap, fun horsepower and torque. It's been great so far!

The next step for me is the install of a 4 inch straight exhaust, a pyro and boost guage (all coming this week). I want to have this stuff finished for Scheid's this weekend.

[For info, see Diesel Extravaganza 2009 My brother (bbtank45) has been to this extravaganza and was happy with the event. There will be several of us from the Cincinnati area heading out there.]

As far as timing goes, I will be doing that modification when I install the 3200 spring coming with the rest of my goodies this week. I doubt I will have this stuff done for Scheids, but it will happen soon enough.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it a lot. I am having a blast and enjoying the drive!

Man I wish I could go to schieds again but loosin a headgasket and the rebuild of another motor is stopin me though I get it back today:)

Just a little update - last night I went to the unofficial diesel night with a bunch of guys on here at our local 1/4 mile track. There was some good racing and I took a couple passes in my first gen. First two runs (when I was trying to get a feel for the truck) were both 18.0 at 79 mph and the last run was 17.8 at 80. I felt pretty good about that, all things considered.

Just a little update - last night I went to the unofficial diesel night with a bunch of guys on here at our local 1/4 mile track. There was some good racing and I took a couple passes in my first gen. First two runs (when I was trying to get a feel for the truck) were both 18.0 at 79 mph and the last run was 17.8 at 80. I felt pretty good about that, all things considered.

very impressive imho :clap:

Back