Front Coils Upgrade

FosterW

How Now Brown Cow
Hey guys, Im looking to upgrade the suspension under my 2nd gen. I would love something like the Kore HP or Recon series but I want to retain close to stock height. Maybe a max of 1" higher front and rear.

Can anyone recommend some upgraded front coils that would fit what Im looking for? I don't mind piecing together my own "kit" to get a substantially better riding and handling suspension.

TIA, Wes

Since the Carli coils for the 2nd gen diesels are the same part number as the 3rd gen hemi coils, I wonder if any set of 3rd gen hemi coils would work well as a leveling kit? Hmmmm You can find 3rd gen hemi coils pretty easily and for decent prices.

The stuff from Kore, Carli, and Lorenz seem really nice, but they are all on the expensive side and usually the leveling kits lift the front too much and the truck ends up with that baja-wannabe look if you don't lift the back too :doh:

I like the air ride, but it is pricey. The 4X4 air shocks run ~$500 each. IIRC they only add an inch to the front, but you can adjust them to add more. Rear air bags are cheap and help the ride when hauling. I now rickson truck wheels had some models on clearance for ~$175 a while back.

Carli Coils... That's what I running and enjoy them. Now I just need new shocks. your gonna get more than 1" lift though.

Thats the thing. I don't want to go any higher then 1" over stock height.

Thuren makes a half inch coil. I've got them on my truck and they do ride better, don't bottom out near as much. $.02

Thats the thing. I don't want to go any higher then 1" over stock height.

Then go with Thuren. Ive got some measurements and such from when I talked to him about his soft ride coils. If you want I can tell you were to mesaure on your frame to your axle and can give you an idea of where your ride heigh will be.

He coils are single rate soft coils and you will probably get about an 1" of lift. You will need new shocks as your stocks ones will probably be too soft.

'Thuren 1.5" soft ride coils' is $330

Last edited:
$330, probably the same spring as superdave posted. I don't think I got 1.5" off them, didn't take before measurements to compare.

Is there any way to improve the ride without increasing ride height? Maybe even lowering it? I know it doesn't seem possible but the stock ride on my 94 is rediculous but I want to lower it a little.

I can't seem to find the 1.5" soft ride coils on the Thuren Fab website.

ride in a first gen, then you will be happy with your suspension

my 98 with 4.5" skyjacker springs rides fantastic

Back