Front end noise HELP!!

rbell

OK everyone I’m about to check myself in the crazy house.:bang:bang I’ve still got this damn front end clunk when making turns at slow speed or front end articulation. I can hit a speed bump head on and get no noise. To date here are the parts I’ve replaced:

1. All four ball joints
2. All new steering linkage
3. Solid steel adjustable track bar
4. Front U-joints

Only parts I can think that may be causing this are sway bar end links and control arm bushings. I’ve checked the shock mounts, top and bottom and pulled the front drive shaft, so after all that I’m really at a loss for what to check next. Any suggestions???

The sway bar link pins would be my first guess I have had to change mine 3 times in the last year. I think it has to do with the leveling kit on mine.

Also could be control arm bushings.

Thanks man, going to try the sway bar end links tomorrow, hopefully that will fix it. I'll tell ya, it's always something....ROB

Its easy to check, just yank on the sway bar at each end by the link. If it has some slop its bad. dont jack it up just park on level ground.

rob lately i have seen two sway bar links where the ball had come completely out of the socket. also when you did your ball joints did you check the u-joints on the front axle shafts?

When I did the ball joints I replaced both U-joints as well. The drivers side sway bar link looks pretty wide, I'm wondering if the ball came out of the socket. The truck does have a 2" leveling kit, I'm sure that does't help the links. We'll see what happens tomorrow...Thanks ROB

Well, blew some more money on sway bar end links and I still have the clunk. I'm really at a loss on this one...In my search for the cause I did notice I can make a good bit of noise by pushing around the new one piece drive shaft. Any thoughts??

Thanks to all.ROB

Have you checked the track bar? This is a common cause for popping. It may be loose or have a worn bushing.

Yep, brand new adjustable track bar installed Friday evening..

Well, blew some more money on sway bar end links and I still have the clunk. I'm really at a loss on this one...In my search for the cause I did notice I can make a good bit of noise by pushing around the new one piece drive shaft. Any thoughts??

Thanks to all.ROB

did it make the noise with the old driveshaft? are you positive thats its coming from the front end and not just thinking it is? can you go slow and hear it so maybe someone can walk next to it or maybe put it on jackstands and run it and maybe listen for the noise?

You know to be perfectly honest I couldn't tell you if it made the noise with the two piece shaft. I've changed so many parts it's hard to remember when it started. I went with a one piece cause I kept trashing carrier bearings, not that I make big power, not even close but something about my truck killed carrier bearings. I wish I knew someone who had a two piece I could test out, mine is gone.

To answer your question, it really sounds as though it's coming from the front but it could be from right under me. I need to get a friend to give me a hand in finding this one, I can't do it by myself.

Hey at least I have a new front end....:Cheer:

You know to be perfectly honest I couldn't tell you if it made the noise with the two piece shaft. I've changed so many parts it's hard to remember when it started. I went with a one piece cause I kept trashing carrier bearings, not that I make big power, not even close but something about my truck killed carrier bearings. I wish I knew someone who had a two piece I could test out, mine is gone.

To answer your question, it really sounds as though it's coming from the front but it could be from right under me. I need to get a friend to give me a hand in finding this one, I can't do it by myself.

Hey at least I have a new front end....:Cheer:

i feel your pain buddy, ever since i did the el cheapo leveling kit, i've had that same damn noise and gave up on looking for it. checked everything you did and now i just accept it. :bang if you do miraculously find out what it is, please let me know l

It's weird cause I didn't have the noise a few thousand miles back, even after installing the leveling kit. Gonna start looking at the rear drive shaft, I can physically push it around and make noise. I'm thinking the yoke isn't engaging the transfr case output shaft enough. I know one thing, this noise is driving me nuts.....

Might want to check that the lower shock mount bolts are tight enough to prevent compression stick-slip.

I'll give that a shot, I checked them once but didn't really pay that much attention. I'm sure it's something stupid, it normally is...Thanks ROB

Yes, definately check the lower shock bolts, and over torque them by about 10-15 pounds

Also, did you just buy a replacement trackbar or are you using an aftermarket track bar?

How does the steering feel?

Just torqued the lower shock bolts to 160ft-lbs, not sure what the spec is but that should be more than enough. Haven't tried it out yet, waiting for my little girl to wake up..

The track bar is a brand new adjustable unit even got new mouting harware.

The steering is pretty good, no more death wobble. Only problem I have is this damn clunk, again it's only at very slow speed turning either direction.

I know you replaced it Rob, but double check the track bar hardware as well. I had mine reefed, or so I thought, and had a similar clunk. I grabbed a cheater bar and gave em a grunt, that fixed it for me.

I'll give that a shot, originally torqued them to 160ft-lbs.

UPDATE: just pulled the new one piece drive shaft and noticed something interesting, the yoke at the transfer case has two slots or keyways in it. The original two piece only had one. I slid the the original into the transfer case and it feels much better, no slop. Is it possible I got the shaft intended for the manual or a different transfer case?

Thanks again to everyone..ROB

i have the same clunk as you and replace the same dam parts, let me know what you find, i'll do the same

Back