FS: 2006 VW Jetta TDI

Chris Tobin

We just picked up a 2015 Cruze Turbo Diesel yesterday so our 2006 VW Jetta TDI is now officially FOR SALE. I will not have time to detail it and to put up pics until I get back from the UCC event, but many of you have seen the car and know of it.

It has bee the subject of several Diesel World tech articles and has many upgrades over a stock TDI, but being a VW it is not perfect... We purchased it with 88,XXX miles on it and it now has 176,XXX miles.

Here is a short list of stuff we've done to it that I can recall off the top of my head...

- Headlights replaced with Factory VW Bi-Zenon HIDs for both low- and high-beam HIDs (VERY good lighting, one of the best lit cars I've driven)
- GTI grille inserts to replace the weak chrome factory Jetta grille inserts, these ones are black with a honeycomb pattern and red trim, the lower grilles are ready to accept factory or aftermarket fog lights. Grille, bumper, valence, core support, radiator, intercooler and AC Condensor were replaced by insurance company after I hit a huge Racoon then again after I was hit by a tire carcass that was kicked up in front of me on the freeway.
- Porsche Boxster 4-piston front brake calipers (powder coated red) with GTI sized EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads. Rear red powder coated factory calipers with GTI brackets and GTI sized EBC dimpled and slotted rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads. Braided stainless steel brake lines front and rear. This car brakes amazingly!!! It is one of the best braking cars I have ever driven!!!
- 18X8-inch TSW matte black Interlagos Rotary Forged wheels wrapped in Goodyear Eagle GT tires. Not a ton of tread left, they will need to be replaced in a few thousand miles or so. The two passenger side wheels were dented on the way to a photo shoot thanks to a massive Knoxville pothole on the freeway and I will submit a claim to TDOT to replace them, but not sure what will happen there. There is a vibration now from the dents...
- Lowered with Eibach performance springs front and rear
- Diesel Geek Panzer Aluminum skid plate to protect the engine and transmission
- Diesel Geek short shift kit
- Timing belt, water pump and all idlers replaced after I purchased it around 90-95,000 miles (due to be replaced again)
- Colt Stage 1 cam replaced worn factory cam when timing belt was replaced, lifters and bearings also replaced at the same time using factory VW parts with coated lifters
- South Bend single mass flywheel and performance clutch to replace the factory dual mass flywheel that is known to self destruct unexpectedly and destroy the transmission housing. The SMF is a little more noisy than the DMF but it holds better and offers peace of mind!
- Kerma TDI Tuning
- Snow Water Meth kit
- Dynoed at 135 HP a 35% increase over the stock 100 HP, I can't recall the TQ off the top of my head
- Was running a Banks IQ but it started acting up and I have not reflashed it so may not include it with the car... Can be included if new owner wants it bad...
- Car ran well at the Scheid Diesel Extravaganza taking me to the semi-finals in the ET Bracket class where driver error on my part and the other driver doing GREAT took me out of the running

Basic Stuff...
- Red paint in pretty good shape especially for 175k+ miles. Rock chips on hood and fenders from driving but no other major flaws I can think of
- Has factory rear spoiler
- Has factory moonroof
- 5-speed manual trans
- Has factory indash 6-dish changer that plays MP3 CDs as well as regular CDs, also Sirius/XM capable
- Beige interior with headed front seats power driver seat (rear seat armrest cupholders are missing)
- Run on Schaffer's 9000 full synthetic oil for every oil change since I purchased it after the cam/timing belt service
- We have original owners manual and two remote keyfobs

Problems/items needed...
- Typical MK5 VW Jetta headliner sagging in need of replacement
- Gasket on roof mounted antenna is dry rotted
- There seems to be a trunk leak that I have not been able to completely track down yet, I believe it is from the driver side tail light, but I am not positive and have not had the time to figure it out for sure
- Typical MK5 VW problem with one or more broken wires in the driver's door harness the LR window will not roll up or down from the driver door but works fine from the LR door and the trunk release does not work from the driver door or the keyfob.

I would like to get $7500 for the car as it sits, but am negotiable within reason. If I were to have the timing belt serviced, the dented wheels replaced or repaired and new tires installed I would want to get $10,000.

If you have any questions or need any other information feel free to send me an email at tobinemail@aol.com rather than to PM me here as my PM box is almost full and I will be away from my computer for the next week or so and likely wont have time to sign on to CompD while I'm covering the UCC.

I will have the car detailed and post up pics within a few days from getting back from Utah the UCC after the 10th.

I wish I needed a 9th car.

I feel ya, right now we have 7 and a loose 6-foot truck bed sitting upside down in the driveway. Some serious redneckness going on here!!!

But 10 would be a nice round number!!! So go for it! You can pick it up after UCC!!!:woohoo:

I feel ya, right now we have 7 and a loose 6-foot truck bed sitting upside down in the driveway. Some serious redneckness going on here!!!

But 10 would be a nice round number!!! So go for it! You can pick it up after UCC!!!:woohoo:

lol I'm literally out of room until I get the new house. I'm don't need another ticket from the city.

Bump for my little red Jetta TDI!

Hopefully I'll get her all detailed and dolled up in the next few days and get pics posted... Right now I am trying to ship the next issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide so I don't have the time...

Please forgive me...

Well I finally had time to get the Jetta detailed. Here is a PDF sheet with pics I created as I thought it would be easier and take less server space than uploading individual pics...

If anyone wants more pics or high res pics I can email them directly just ask.

I hope to sell the car ASAP and can deliver it to the TS performance event if someone wants to pick it up there. Feel free to call or text 4two3.two8five.seven8fourzero or send me an email at tobinemail@aol.com for more info.

I may list the car on ebay as well and if I do I'll post a link to the ad...

Take care,
Chris Tobin

Last edited:
Man I was just about to Kick you in the Zipper for being a Photographer and not posting pictures of the Car...

Man I was just about to Kick you in the Zipper for being a Photographer and not posting pictures of the Car...

Ya, I know... I've been swamped... And with TS this coming weekend and Wagler next weekend the busy season is just beginning!!!

SOLD!!!

I hope John gets as much joy out of her as we did!!!

Congrats John on getting an awesome deal!!!

Back