Fuel gauge reading empty

tcalvin

My fuel gauge is reading empty even when the tank is full. I replaced the fuel level sending unit hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not. I have the tank on the ground now and have been reading through old threads regarding this issue, but I still haven't found a fix for it... Any ideas?

Highly unlikely that the gauge itself is bad but try the cluster sweep test anyway. Hold the trip reset button and turn the ingnition ON.

Check you're wiring from the top of the lift pump as far as u can on my 01 I had a bad wire in there soderd it up shrk tubed it good to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gauge sweeps fine, traced the wires all the way to the cluster. I still can't figure it out, too bad my multimeter is at work. Damn electronic gremlins :what:

Find someone with a scanner and see what the ECM is seeing on fuel level voltage.

Find someone with a scanner and see what the ECM is seeing on fuel level voltage.

My fuel gauge has the same issue, and i've done all the diag as the op plus using the scanner to read voltage (which checked out okay). I just chalked it up to a bad cluster (mine's an 06 and has the famous messed up tach anyhow). Definitely keep us updated if you find something i could not.

My fuel gauge has the same issue, and i've done all the diag as the op plus using the scanner to read voltage (which checked out okay). I just chalked it up to a bad cluster (mine's an 06 and has the famous messed up tach anyhow). Definitely keep us updated if you find something i could not.

Mine had the 06 tach issues as well. Reflowed the solder on the back of the cluster last summer and its been working great ever since.

Have you messed with your efi live lately? There are fuel level tables on there.

mine was acting up before i ever put a tune in it not sure about tcalvin though

Ohh ok, I kinda figure it has nothing to do with it but it was worth a shot to say something about it. LOL

I've always been wondering this and never asked you but was you at the new era diesel efilive class last feb in ohio?

Ohh ok, I kinda figure it has nothing to do with it but it was worth a shot to say something about it. LOL

I've always been wondering this and never asked you but was you at the new era diesel efilive class last feb in ohio?

I would love for it to be something simple, i've pulled my hair dropping the tank, ohm'ing wires, hours on a scan tool with 2 different sending unit's, i'm over it now. Now i just keep track of miles and keep a 5 gallon jug of diesel in the bed just in case my math is off :hehe:

Nope that wasn't me at New Era, that was Jonathan and Cassie from our tuning department.

I would love for it to be something simple, i've pulled my hair dropping the tank, ohm'ing wires, hours on a scan tool with 2 different sending unit's, i'm over it now. Now i just keep track of miles and keep a 5 gallon jug of diesel in the bed just in case my math is off :hehe:

Nope that wasn't me at New Era, that was Jonathan and Cassie from our tuning department.

I could imagine, I just hope my 07 doesn't do the same thing. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that. LOL

Gotcha! Now I feel like a dumbass for asking, but I couldn't remember their names. I'm glad I got that all figured out now. Haha

Sorry for the derail... Back to figuring out broken fuel gauges.

Back