Fuel leak behind head and hard to start???

1911 guy

Trunk Monkey
Hi there. My uncle has an 04 and he has called to tell me that immediately after changing his oil it started running ****ty and then the next day started leaking fuel from behind the engine above the bell housing (best he can tell) and is hard to start after an hour or two sitting. I know jack and SH!T about the PS So if you guys could help in any way it would be appreciated. Thanks.

there is numerous areas in the valley of the engine that can leak fuel and have a hard start. fuel filter o-ring would be a good start. there is a port in the fuel filter housing to test the pressure. should be around 60 psi

My guess is the secondary fuel filter oring or cap not sealed and bleeding back.

There is an o-ring on the back of the head that will go bad occasionally, I just repaired one and it had the same issue with hard start.

Thanks for the info. I talked to him yesterday and he said the leak has stopped and it starts and runs fine now... Strange.

There is an o-ring on the back of the head that will go bad occasionally, I just repaired one and it had the same issue with hard start.

If you dont mind could you elaborate a bit more on this o-ring and its location? He swears there is no fuel line running to the back of the head. I was told by another that there is a banjo fitting with sealing washers that can go bad. I relayed him the same info but says its not there. I cant see it from 450 miles away. So...

I'll see if I can get a pic posted for you. My computer's a little funny sometimes but I'll see what I can do.

At the back of the head is an o-ringed threaded plug. Exactly in line with where the fuel lines attach to the front of the head.

Back