fuel level gauge NOT the sending unit

Ltk

Broke
so the fuel sending unit was replaced in my truck today and after re-installing the tank and driving it was working fine. after driving about 10 miles i hit a bump in the road, and bam, not working again!!

i have traced all wiring, brand new sending unit, etc...

could a short in the PCM cause this?? i am stumped..

Well, my experience with this maybe differ but..

Over the summer I dropped the tank to replace the sending unit as it was starting to read incorrectly. Drop the new assembly in, and left for a road trip a few days later. When i filled up at my destination, the gauge never moved even though the pump clicked off.

So, after prob 3 to 4 more fill-ups with no gauge change (always read 1/8 to 0) I dropped the tank again to find the sender arm & float just floating around in my tank. No evidence of broken parts, snapped the arm back onto the sender and no problems since.

My conclusion was the sender arm & float weren't fully snapped together when assembled an came loose over the trip (350 miles).

my arm and float are fine and still working properly. dropped the tank again when the problem happened, but everything from the fuel tank to the pcm is perfect.

i just dont understand how ONLY the fuel sending unit has short and nothing else does.

could this be soldered and if so has anyone done it? i cant find anybody with similar issues

Is there anything else that's not working? Have you done anything under the hood lately?

When I first got my truck together I had several issues that were intermittent: fuel gauge did not work, alternator wouldn't charge, and tranny was in limp mode. I finally discovered a connector, the bottom one shown below, that was not completely snapped together.

connectors_zpsvgr3s3bk.jpg

havent done anything under the hood in a long time.

the only other thing on this truck that does not work is the low beams. when on low, they do not work. when i switch to high beams, both highs and the driver side low come on.

the fuel gauge never budged off of empty until i changed the sending unit then it worked for a little bit until that bump. now again its not working

ill check that connection thanks for the pic!

ive never heard of a pcm being shorted but its the only alternative i can think of.. (except for loose connections like you had)

Back