Fuel Pressure Test(er)

cowboyup_2000

I need to pressure test my 02 Cummins because one of my pumps went out ( we haven't determined if it's the lift or the injection yet ) and I was told i need to pressure test the fuel system... what kind of guage and where do i get one, and how do i test it exactly?

the bad part is no matter what one went out you need both in most cases

Here's the gauge, a fuel pressure test kit for gassers available at most chain type auto parts stores.

Image042.jpg

Here's where it connects to your injector pump.

Image046.jpg

This tests the lift pump pressure. The stock spec is 10psi.

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Here's the gauge, a fuel pressure test kit for gassers available at most chain type auto parts stores.

Image042.jpg

Here's where it connects to your injector pump.

Image046.jpg

This tests the lift pump pressure. The stock spec is 10psi.

Is the Check Engine Light on?

no, it was just suggested that i check to see if there is still any pressure ... the engine cranks, but won't fire ...so we are guessing it's the injector pump but before we get all crazy and spend money and such ..we want to narrow it down, and it's also been suggested that if one of the lift or injector pump goes ... the other is going with it and just as well replace both .... i can use a gasser fuel pressure tester on my diesel?

Truck will generally run when the lift pump is out.

It will not run if the injector pump is out.

Have you pulled codes yet? If you know anyone with a Smarty, now is the time to borrow it and check the codes..

If you bump the key (just let it crank for a quarter of a second), you should hear the lift pump run for about 15 seconds. If it is factory, it is either one the side of the engine block, or in the tank. In either case, you should hear it run.

As mentioned before, you're probably going to want to go ahead and replace them both.

If you had no FP gauge then your lift pump prolly went out a long time ago and now the inj. pump is out....

Since it's an '02 flip the key forward to the run position 3 times quick without starting it. Then read the codes.

You might as well replace you lift pump with a up graded pump.

thanks for the advice...and i've pulled the codes already... there was nothing fuel related... i have 5" straight pipes and the BHAF , the only code present was Excessive Turbo Boost exceeded or something to that nature ... not even sure what that means but i bet it has something to do with no back pressure with my exhaust

You might as well replace you lift pump with a up graded pump.

well..i don't need my truck for drag racing, or pulling MASSIVE loads, or any high performance uses... it's basically a daily driver and now and then i play with it .... so which lift pump or type should i put into it ... and mine is still mounted on the side of the block .. i have been looking for some injection pumps and lift pumps and 9 times out of 10 im seeing ones for like .500+ HP and i'm not in real need of anything like that .... so i have been doing a little hunting with little success....

well if cash is on the tight side I would just get a raptor or a fass hpfp. Or if you would like to you can get a fuel system with the filters. I not really sold of the idea of getting ride of entrained air. Fass system come with 3/8 lines and raptor or airdogs come with 1/2 inch lines. since you have a pump on the side of the block I would get a draw straw 1 from vulcan. you dont need it with the raptor or hpfp pump from fass. the airdog 100 doesnt need a draw straw but the 150 does. it will help to get rid of the factory dorman connection on top of the tank and have a 1/2 or 3/8 inch pick up tube. Draw Straw II 1/2 in. draw tube and 1/2 in. pushlock fitting

well if cash is on the tight side I would just get a raptor or a fass hpfp. Or if you would like to you can get a fuel system with the filters. I not really sold of the idea of getting ride of entrained air. Fass system come with 3/8 lines and raptor or airdogs come with 1/2 inch lines. since you have a pump on the side of the block I would get a draw straw 1 from vulcan. you dont need it with the raptor or hpfp pump from fass. the airdog 100 doesnt need a draw straw but the 150 does. it will help to get rid of the factory dorman connection on top of the tank and have a 1/2 or 3/8 inch pick up tube. Draw Straw II 1/2 in. draw tube and 1/2 in. pushlock fitting

......you lost me a for a minute there .... stupify this info ...and cash is a little tight ...

my bad look into a raptor or a fass high pressure fuel pump(HPFP) as far as the draw straw look at the link from the post above. I belive that raptor is 399 and the fass is a little more. hope this helps.

raptor Raptor FP 150 fuel system

fass HPFP Fuel System 98.5-04 Dodge

draw straw Draw Straw II 1/2 in. draw tube and 1/2 in. pushlock fitting

one more thing you will need a big line get with the stand alone pumps that goes from the fuel filter to the vp.

big line kit Draw Straw II 1/2 in. draw tube and 1/2 in. pushlock fitting

did you use the gauge to test your fuel pressure yet? And just to narrow it down, all thats going to do is test if your lift pump is fine if you think the possibly of your injection pump/s are out then that gauge is gonna do you no good

no, it was just suggested that i check to see if there is still any pressure ... the engine cranks, but won't fire ...so we are guessing it's the injector pump but before we get all crazy and spend money and such ..we want to narrow it down, and it's also been suggested that if one of the lift or injector pump goes ... the other is going with it and just as well replace both .... i can use a gasser fuel pressure tester on my diesel?

It works on mine....GM gasser tester.
They both use the same Schrader Valve connection.
Turn the keyswitch just enough to "bump" the starter then quickly release to get The Free 25 Second Lift Pump Run. Check the gauge while the lift pump is running.

Back