Fuel sampling

nick2001

Our club just had our final rules meeting for the 2013 season. At this meeting it was brought up that there will be fuel sampling in the tractor classes, 2.6, and mod diesel classes. We were told to provide sampling valves for this season. I asked how the fuel was going to be tested and the board said the testing was not final yet, but it was suggested that they may use a "stryofoam cup test" and/or an "open flame (strike on box match) test"

After the meeting I tried the stryofoam cup test with #2. I let it for 10 minutes and it didnt wick thru the cup at all. Then I grabbed some power service and made a mix of about 75/25. I had the same result. Finally I tried power service straight and it ate thru the cup with in the first 30 seconds.

After these quick tests, I'm wondering if there are better testing methods or if anyone has any input. Thanks

Power Service LOL

As far as I know those tests are as far as field testing can go.

alot of people dont run power service as a fuel mix their are alot of different fuel mixes that pass the test and still make alot of power

I only checked the power service as a way to accelerate the cup wicking time. I do not use it in my pullers fuel. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess the real question I have is how long "should" the cup hold up? I couldn't get #2 to go thru it period. At this point Im looking for cheaper stryofoam cups. Also how is the flame test performed? With an eye dropper?

Now Styrofoam cup your more than just a plastic
Come to find out you’re a shade of fantastic
‘cause you reveal just how drastic the lengths some pullers go to

Into your bowel do I pour
A concoction that seems to be more
Than the Association would care for
A brew that some pullers adore
A Fuel that the other tests miss

Styrofoam cup, your time may be up
If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

Styrofoam cup your time may be up
If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

Styrofoam cup when I am comparin’
One of your friends next to you and I be glarin’
At the hole where your bottom went barren
Someone’s done got caught!

If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

Styrofoam cup because of you friend
My job has had the stress lessened
Gauges and meters and freezers become an option
When they used to be the norm

So beware of the man bearing the cup
Who separates the innocent from the corrupt
Who keeps things on the up and up
Unless the win means more than the cup
Then you friend will be gone for five years and more…

If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

If we see no bottom
If we see no bottom

The NTPA rule book has guidelines for fuel testing you will probably find what your club is looking for there.

Will syndiesel pass? If no one has checked ill pull some outta my 4000 ford and test it.

Cool. I ran it in that lil thing with an hy35 and 12 psi of boost lol but it did actually seem to work and smoke less.

Was told when we thought about doing this with our gas classes the only way to get a accurate test done was to send it to a lab. I would imagine that would also apply to diesel. Was told that by different companies while searching for a fuel tester.

The way it was preprosed was...there would be a feild test at the pull. If you failed that test, you would have to provide and pay for a sample to be sent in. I would assume that if you refused or failed you would forfeit points and pay out.

I did some searching and found that NTPA is now able to run biodiesel. I thought that bio would fail the cup test. Anyone know if there is truth to that? or how NTPA is testing fuel.

This is straight out of the 2012 NTPA rule book. Hope the helps. Sorry for the poor quality i wasnt about to type that all out with my phone.

Attachments

• 2013-01-22 21.03.47.jpg
    2013-01-22 21.03.47.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 0
Back