Fuel shutoff solenoid question

JFlagg

Gun for Hire
OK, I know there are a couple threads on this, which I have read already, BUT I hate wiring and electrical, so I need someone to make this 101% idiotproof for me. LOL I took a few picture of what I have to work with, so hopefully its all I need(i think I have extra wires anyway).

Here is the first pic and the whole harness I was given... I only need the plug at the bottom with 3 wires, right?
DSCF3487.jpg

Here is the plug with 3 wires... small green, black and red. I assume the black w/ eyelet is the one that goes to the starter?
DSCF3489.jpg

DSCF3488.jpg

This picture shows the red wire running up to the box... do I cut it and splice somewhere else or what? If so, where?
DSCF3491.jpg

DSCF3492.jpg

Now remember, I'm a wiring idiot(guages I have down though, lol) so when you tell me how/where to wire these 3 wires, pictures are appreciated or at least, the exact wire you used. I'm not good with "find a key hot or constant hot", though I know what they are. If the black wire with eyelet goes to the starter though, I can figure that out LOL

Last edited:
You actually have two relays in your pics, the big one is for the pull, the small is for hold.

You know, I've seen that thread... but it didn't come up during all my searches today, weird. Thanks for the link though, that diagram should do the trick :D

My last question is, in this diagram it shows a relay. Is that relay the black box on the right in my picture above? Or do I need to get one?

p-pumpshutoffsolenoiddiagram.jpg

Your color code is wrong and you only need the large relay. Your also missing the ground wire for the relay. Give me a minute and I'll post the diagram.

Black with eyelet = ground, I grounded it at the head for the rear lift bracket holes (12mm).

Green/black tracer = switched power. I hooked it to the fuel heater power, which is key on and constant.

The Red/black wire is the power from the relay. No need to do anything to that. Take teh fuel heater relay in that setup and associated harness, and throw it away (or in your garage corner).

In the remaining harness, there should be a brown wire, that goes to the starter solenoid trigger. That triggers the relay. There will be a small gauge black wire out of the relay, that is the ground for the trigger circuit.

There will be another heavier gauge red wire with a blue fusible link. That goes to the battery.

Black with eyelet = ground, I grounded it at the head for the rear lift bracket holes (12mm).

Green/black tracer = switched power. I hooked it to the fuel heater power, which is key on and constant.

The Red/black wire is the power from the relay. No need to do anything to that. Take teh fuel heater relay in that setup and associated harness, and throw it away (or in your garage corner).

In the remaining harness, there should be a brown wire, that goes to the starter solenoid trigger. That triggers the relay. There will be a small gauge black wire out of the relay, that is the ground for the trigger circuit.

There will be another heavier gauge red wire with a blue fusible link. That goes to the battery.

OK, so in the 4th picture the brown wire and small black wire you speak of are coming out of the conduit with the other 3, right?k I see the red wire w/ the fusible link in the picture too... I'll have to go check in the garage to be sure, lol. Just out of curiousity, whats the other relay for that I got with the one I need? And what are those wires for?

OK, so in the 4th picture the brown wire and small black wire you speak of are coming out of the conduit with the other 3, right?k I see the red wire w/ the fusible link in the picture too... I'll have to go check in the garage to be sure, lol. Just out of curiousity, whats the other relay for that I got with the one I need? And what are those wires for?

Looks like the right wires to me. The other relay is for the fuel heater on a 12v. Pull it off and you won't have to worry about getting confused with the wires.

I finally got it wired in where it works... thanks everyone!

I've been told a glow plug relay will work as a fuel shut off solenoid. Has anybody tried doing this?

Back