Fuel system questions! All opinions appreciated!

jsmith3391

Okay so here's the scoop. A couple months ago I replaced my factory fuel system with an airdog 150gph system. reasons: factory lift pump was starting to "tick" at idle and would cut in and out at WOT. Sooo I figured it would be a good idea to put an aftermarket fuel system on. Installed the airdog system and have to mechanical troubles with the system but it feel like ive lost a great deal of power. especially when im going up hill in 5th gear. With the factory system, I could be going up a hill in 5th, put the pedal to the floor and the truck and take off up with hill like a raped ape. Now with the airdog system, all it does is maintains speed and feels like I even lose speed. talked to some people and they said to installed a bigger psi spring in the pump. Did that and now my fuel psi gauge reads just under 50 psi. Still runs the same. Ive looked everything over and don't know what the issue is. would it be a good idea to go back with the factory system or just stick with the airdog system? So far, im not impressed at all with the airdog.*bdh*

If the fuel pressure is good then you have an issue elsewhere. Boost reference to the afc good?

Ive been tinkering with the afc on it and that line is good. not kinked or anything. Its just weird.....eversince I put this airdog system on, its been laggy and doesn't pull as hard as it did with the factory system. It was like the balls have been cut off it when I put it on. And with the fuel psi being good, it makes it mind boggling.

Maybe you need to turn fuel down some, as in you could be putting in too much fuel with the higher pressure now then before and you are starting to put the fire out? Just messing around with your AFC settings. Sorry for any incorrect information I may give (still learning).

Yeah that could be a possibility. ive been tinkering with the afc to get the fuel right. just not satisfied with the airdog. Ive heard that the factory fuel system is good for a lot of power. should've stayed with the factory system

Some say a good stock pump will do 600hp.

What does your pyro read under these circumstances you mentioned?

Sounds like you may have bumped something while installing your airdog.

the most I see now for egt's is 1400-1600*. I was getting more than that and found I had a cracked intercooler so I replaced that.

Trust me, you won't lose power by running the AirDog at 50psi. You have another issue

ok good to know that the air dog proly isn't the issue...I personally think that my charger isn't giving enough air for the fuel that im getting. look at my sig to see that I got. I feel that I either need a bigger charger or two personally. ive been working on tuning and feel that I just get too much smoke all the time

Back