g56 broken bell housings?

nbowlin

I have had a sleuth of them come in with trashed flywheels and the upper d-side part of the bell housing broken......anyone else???

ive seen a few of these, dont know what exactly is causing it, the last one i saw had 3 bolts broken off into the flywheel housing, the truck only had 40k on it and never been into, broke the bell housing and flywheel housing,

the ones past through my shop have had the bell housing broke at 11 o'clock about 4 inches worth. I would blame the valairs going in but.....I cant make that stretch I spose. I was just wondering if there was an answer as to what is happening is all.

maybe the aluminum case flexing so much has something to do with it. ive seen them with stock clutches breaking.

Its just like fords I got a gas pull truck that the bell housin cracked 80percent. Around the clutch housin. Area to much bellhousin and tranny to flex the trannys that have a bellhousin made into the tranny has always been prone for crackin. And the ones the bell housin bolts to the tranny seen to give less trouble

the fix is a new tranny , WOW that is going to cost

Kenny this is exactly why my truck dosent get hooked to the sled!! Nor do I BANG gears, the G56 just wont take that kinda abuse for too long.

The Dual mass is breaking and then the vibrations and movement are breaking the bell housings.

If that is the case, then those of us who have tossed the dual mass flywheel and introduced those additional vibrations by installing aftermarket clutches with solid flywheels are all in for broken bell housings and trans cases??? Boy I sure hope not!

No I don't think so the dual mass flywheels springs usually break causin the vibrations

Ok, well when you said vibration, I was thinking more along the lines of the gear chatter and vibration I have now with the DMF gone. I guess you are talking about major jerking if the springs break.

Ok, well when you said vibration, I was thinking more along the lines of the gear chatter and vibration I have now with the DMF gone. I guess you are talking about major jerking if the springs break.

i have seen a hand full of dual mass and with springs broke causin bad vibrations they make good boat anchors

I can't believe that eliminating the DMF won't reduce the service life or TBO of the G56 - that's why I think aftermarket balancers such as FluiDampr really complement aftermarket clutches.

CTDs generate a harsh harmonic signature which work-harden metals exposed to it, such as the gear teeth inside the case.

Obviously, the aluminum alloy gear case and bellhousing are even more susceptible to vibratory degradation - from a metallurgical viewpoint, aluminum has a relatively short fatigue-cycle life, and had the shortest time-to-failure of the metals we tested against an ISBe's natural frequencies.

Back