g56 trans fluid question

Penni

alright so before anyone gets on to me, i DID use the serach function, this weekend im gonna be putting a sb dd 3250 in my truck, now i have read numerous threads on changing the fluid to either gorilla juice or mobil delvac 50wt to reduce the gear rollover noises caused by the solid flywheel.....

my question is that since i dont have enough time to order it offline and it be at my house garunteed by friday, is there any place to get these fluids at a store or any distributer? I'm sitting on a oil rig right now so i cant just drive and check at o'rielleys or something, im trying to get this all planned out by the time i get home and put it in at a buddy place in the southest missouri area.

Most parts houses will have it such as a car-quest, napa, etc. I actually have 10 gallons of mobile synthetic 50wt at the shop. Also lots of fuel distributers carry this type of fluid. That's where I get mine.

Thanks a bunch! would you recommend the gorilla juice to the mobil synthetic? ive read all the threads on it, and couldn't really come to a conclusion myself....

Im getting ready to install the same clutch into my truck and i am going with the Mobil synthetic. I have used there products before on other trucks and was happy with it. Just my $0.02

mine has full syn amsoil atf, but you would probably have to order that. not many places stock amsoil.

fwiw, I don't have any gear chatter stilling in neutral at red lights. trans is very quite.

Thanks a bunch! would you recommend the gorilla juice to the mobil synthetic? ive read all the threads on it, and couldn't really come to a conclusion myself....

MobilTrans SHC DC is the proper fluid.
I've been using 50W synthetic MTF and have had great results.

For what it's worth, GJ seems to recently have bad reviews.

Do not use ATF.

Your own "special blend" huh?

I have been adding some high pressure additive to the 50W synthetic oil, it hasn't caused any issues with syncros so I can say it's working. I've torn a few G56 transmissions apart, 2 had ran ATF and look horrible, I'm not sure what was in the other but it wasn't as bad, still had more bearing wear than I thought it should have. Have you ever analyzed transmission wear after running different types of oil? Have you found an MTF that's outstandingly better than others?

Last edited:
The Mobile syn 50wt seems to be working great in the half dozen or so I've replaced the ATF with.

update to this, after a few weeks of driving this... i did put the gorilla juice in mine... when i cold start the truck, in winter temps... it is ridculously hard to go into gear, as in i have to force it with my back against the seat pushing it into 3rd and pulling down on 4th hard etc... but once the fluid begins to warm up (typically 3-5 miles) its perfectly fine... i feel as though the gorilla juice really does not like cold weather... i know it is a heavy wt fluid, but geez!!!! thoughts?

update to this, after a few weeks of driving this... i did put the gorilla juice in mine... when i cold start the truck, in winter temps... it is ridculously hard to go into gear, as in i have to force it with my back against the seat pushing it into 3rd and pulling down on 4th hard etc... but once the fluid begins to warm up (typically 3-5 miles) its perfectly fine... i feel as though the gorilla juice really does not like cold weather... i know it is a heavy wt fluid, but geez!!!! thoughts?

When truck is cold I always put it in 3rd gear then go to reverse. Smooth as silk.

So are u happy with gj then or u want to change to 50w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy with the gorilla juice, just as long as it stays above 30º outside.... but if it gets below that, its a super pain for the first 3 miles....

Sent from phone

That very reason is why I recommend 50wt synthetic fluid. Never a stiff shift.

Yup. GJ does not like shifting when cold. Other than that I like it. Just out of curiosity I'm going to switch to some sort of 50wt next time.

i just serviced a g56 this past weekend, the atf looked good even after 98k. owner couldnt find the above recommended fluid with the GL rating suggested. so we put in 7qts royal purple 80w-90 through the shifter tower, owner is very happy with the change.

Back