Garrett 4202 Turbochargers

emkay

SPEEDFREAK
I am in the "turboquestion" situation. To get high flow but decent spool, I want to use a ball bearing charger. The BW EFR series (9180) is not yet available so I am looking into the Garrett chargers. Any experience with the GT4202R on a 6.7 here? Or even better, any experience on the difference between the GT4202R on a 6.7 compared to a GTX4202R on the same engine?

Mods in my sig, larger CP3 (actually II BOP) is to come. Manifold will be steed speed 2nd Gen T4 w/ WG port.

I am in the "turboquestion" situation. To get high flow but decent spool, I want to use a ball bearing charger. The BW EFR series (9180) is not yet available so I am looking into the Garrett chargers. Any experience with the GT4202R on a 6.7 here? Or even better, any experience on the difference between the GT4202R on a 6.7 compared to a GTX4202R on the same engine?

Mods in my sig, larger CP3 (actually II BOP) is to come. Manifold will be steed speed 2nd Gen T4 w/ WG port.

GTX on the dyno here picked up 100hp over the cast GT4202R. It was 50hp above the BW 75mm ETT wheel as well. Awesome charger, BUT they aren't cheap. We carry them on the shelf if you need them as well as all the standard GT42's and GT42R's.

somds great. PM me a pricing please... 1.15 A/R T4. how was spool as this is my main concern as I want to keep it "drivable" and its a manual so no breakspool with the converter

somds great. PM me a pricing please... 1.15 A/R T4. how was spool as this is my main concern as I want to keep it "drivable" and its a manual so no breakspool with the converter

GT or GTX??

My GT4202R with a T6 1.01 housing would hit hard around 2500 rpm on my 24v. I'd think you could have it doing the same before 2200 rpm with a 6.7 Daily driver material, I don't think so.

@ tate: I am afraid, I guess I don't understand the answer ???

My GT4202R with a T6 1.01 housing would hit hard around 2500 rpm on my 24v. I'd think you could have it doing the same before 2200 rpm with a 6.7 Daily driver material, I don't think so.

With a T4 housing and a .98A/R housing, the rpms would drop significantly.

how about high rpm flow of the chargher with that "small" housing? truck is intended to run high speeds...

Well if you plan to run this thing at high speeds, then the 1.01A/R T4 is minimum with the 1.15A/R indeed getting the nod.

I dd my truck (12v) with a t4 journal Bearing 4202. It spools around 2200 rpm and with the manual vb it's fun to drive on the street.

I'm running a GTX4202R on my 95 with the 1.01 T4 and it hits hard around 2300. Lights as fast as the S469 with a .9 T4 that was on there. Just to give you a reference.

I'm running a GTX4202R on my 95 with the 1.01 T4 and it hits hard around 2300. Lights as fast as the S469 with a .9 T4 that was on there. Just to give you a reference.

This is probably a stupid question but I would assume the GTX4202R to feel A LOT stonger than the 469. Does it?

Do you guys think I could mount the 4202 on a 3rd Gen Manifold (BD/ATS/Stainless Diesel) and keep my S&B intake and a 4" downpipe? No idea if that would fit...

This is probably a stupid question but I would assume the GTX4202R to feel A LOT stonger than the 469. Does it?

Yes it definitely feels stronger, but its not an apples to apples comparison since I changed to a bigger injector and never made a hard pull with new injectors and old turbo setup. Found some damage to compressor wheel on the 469 and didn't want to push it.

Do you guys think I could mount the 4202 on a 3rd Gen Manifold (BD/ATS/Stainless Diesel) and keep my S&B intake and a 4" downpipe? No idea if that would fit...

I ran a S400 on my 06 with a 3rd gen manifold and it worked out and the 4202 has an almost identical footprint as a S400 with a T4 turbine housing. Not sure if the S&B intake will work as I have no experience with them, and DP will need to be adjusted slightly. If you plan on an external gate I would shy away from using a spacer (WG) plate and go with a manifold that has an integral WG flange on it. When running the spacer plate, clearances get tight with the shock tower on a 4x4. Hope that helps.

convinced :)

trying to get the gtx4202r here now... is there any 3rd gen style manifold with wastegate port? if not, how do you guys wastegate your setups???

hm... no way to go 3rd gen manifold style and wastegate it without using those "wastegatespacers"??

Back