Garrett BB turbo on Vp44 ?'s

00 black ram

Cummin's Enthusiast
Was wondering if anyone could give feedback on running one on a Vp44? Like size and fueling along with how it drives or performs. Can be single or compounds. I am thinking of switching to one from a billet 66/74 S300. I have been researching, but most are CR's. I was just wanting to see what would be good for my current setup. Thanks in advance.

Current fueling: 6x18's, TST comp/EZ, and SO pump
Also have Stg. 3 cam and P&P head. Let me know if there is anything else you would need to know.

A friend ran a GT3788R and then a GT4094R on his '98 24v. Can't remember his setup exactly, believe it was an Adrenaline with Mach 4 injectors, ATS manifold, different intake horn. The 37 spooled quick, but would like to surge, and would bark hard anytime coming off anything more than light throttle. The 40 was a bit slower to come up, but still had some surge. Not sure on the housing, but I'm betting it was in the 0.9-1.0 range. It seemed similar to my 24v with a BW 66/73.

I was thinking of the gt4094r as a single. I had read where some turbos had a groove cut to help reduce or eliminate the surging.

Are you referring to the mwe groove? If so, most turbos have that...

RonA says the 4094 wasn't a good single, but works well in his compound setup.

4094 is not a good turbo as a single on a 5.9, I liked it on a bigger motor but it surges on a 5.9.

Yes the bignasty, that is what I was talking about.

What would be a better size to run as a single? I figured the gt4094 would have been ok, maybe on the big side but would be ok. It measures around 66-67 mm on the comp doesn't it?

It would be nice to see Garrett come out with a turbine in between the 40 and the 42, and use it with the 4088 and 4094 comp. All that aside, I have no complaints running the 4094 as a secondary. I don't think the 4294 would spool worth a hoot on a p-pumped truck.

RonA, so that is where the problem lies is in the turbine? There is to big of a jump in the to work as a big single.
I am just to use to knowing and calling turbos by their comp mm sizing, the Gt40, Gt42, and etc is all new to me. Haha

The garrett gt42's are fine as a play toy single. I have ran a 4202r and a gtx4202 on a decently fueled 12v. No idea how they would work on a vp truck but I had no problems diving mine every day on the street.

Back