Garrett mix/match experiment for dmax

Mikesmithdmax

I've been thinking of trying this for a few months and tonight I finally tore into a couple Garrett chargers I had lying around. I took a GT37VA lbz vvt Garrett 62mm turbo, And a international dt466 58mm t4,1.1 a/r turbo and put the two together lol.

I used the .58 a/r 62mm compressor cover/wheel and backing plate from the vvt turbo, bolted it to the international center cartridge, this allowed to use the t4 1.1 turbine housing!
I'm sure Garrett sells a turbo with these specs, or something really close, I just wonder what kinda power I can expect to make with it? I'm thinking 600ish?

Specs on the mix match charger are now:
Inducer 62.8mm 13 fins 4" vband mouth piece
Exducer 88mm
A/R .58

Exhaust : A/R 1.11 10 Fins
Inducer 73mm
Exducer 64mm
T4
4" v band down pipe

Even with 8 cylinders that seems like a big housing for a 62 charger. Depending on volute delivery on turbine wheel, it seems like it wouldn't be very efficient. I see a .9 housing working much better. I mean even the VVT charger only uses a .9 housing and it's variable.

I don't think lbz chargers had the 62ish mm comp wheel, thought that was LLY. I still don't think it'll do 600. Maybe 550, those compressor wheels aren't the greatest.

Thats true, Do you think a billet wheel would get me closer?

I can machine the comp cover for a larger wheel, does anyone know what wheel fits the shaft? A 4094 maybe?

8241D301-16BC-4597-803F-7773006A2B39_zpsub9gbaoe.jpg

16FC0E72-EB24-462F-BE18-BFBD79965DE2_zpsmfwfqyss.jpg

Last edited:
Thats true, Do you think a billet wheel would get me closer?

I can machine the comp cover for a larger wheel, does anyone know what wheel fits the shaft? A 4094 maybe?

You need bigger turbine, it's already too small. Big compressor small turbine gets you laggy turbo that makes high backpressure immediately after it spools. Worst of both worlds.

I've been doing a lil reaserch, from what I've gathered I can get a 68mm gt4094 compressor wheel, think it's 68 in 94 ex,

I've read a few fourms where they machine the housing on the gt37s for power strokes and dmaxs, one guy made 780hp and 1300 tq with a vvt from a lly with this wheel, he also had a CNC ported exhaust housing and custom vanes.
Shouldn't my t4 housing flow as much as a modded vvt housing?

I found some takeout cast Garrett 4094 wheels on danville a website for only 30 bucks! I have 2 compressor housings in the shop, I think I'll chuck it up in my lathe and try my luck, it's gonna be hard to match the radius of the wheel on a conventional lathe, but it's possible!
Is a 68/94 gonna be big enough?

You can cram a big ass compressor wheel in the cover. But at the end of the day the stock compressor cover can only flow so much. About as much as the stock wheel can move.

Run it like it is, can't hurt to try..
You have some displacement abd8 exhaust pulses to get the work done.

You can cram a big ass compressor wheel in the cover. But at the end of the day the stock compressor cover can only flow so much. About as much as the stock wheel can move.

I see what your saying, there is a limit to everything,

But aren't the cheetah and Danville performance vvt Garrett's still using the .58 comp cover with a big wheel? From 63mm to 72mm right? Some are making 700 hp with this cover, I'm sure they're CNC ported to hell and have thousands of hours into reaserch to get that tho

Back