Garys build, my truck

floridabob

Been trying to get this together for a while but have not taken the time to figure out the pictures. Had hours to kill while the wife had some emergency surgery today so lets see what happens.

It will be a start, anyway.

The tappet started this whole project or the cam beating it to death. Truck had a crazy throbbing sound someone on here suggested might be a valve adjustment issue. They were right.

I'm lucky that Gary Ray (Wrongway) lives just down the street, not sure he feels the same,so I visited him to discuss and it was decided that the cam needed to be pulled. I had already pulled the tappet window with no results.

While he was in the process of pulling the cam, I got with Ryan Lenahan and bought one of his beautifully dressed o ring heads-Manley valves, valve job, port/polish, etc. No idea why. Probably thought it was a good idea at the time.

Next came an s480 from ED and the piping kit. Twins, baby. I already had a 64/71/14 to put with it.

So then we got the billet tappet window to handle the boost of the twins I didn't need pushed by the head I wasnt sure why I bought. Keating had ONE billet timing cover left from his last run so that was thrown in the box, I thought it important to save some shipping, I guess.

120 lines got put on the pump to feed some big injectors. I had blown the pump a week before the build started so that got put on the list...my fault, long story.

SO, while the head is off, Gary has me wriggle piston 6 and its pretty sloppy. Block gets pulled and sent to the machine shop gary uses and gets bored .020 over, new pistons etc. I head off to the bank to mortgage my house.

Block comes back, looks very pretty so Gary makes me clean the engine compartment cause there is now way he's putting that "purdy new engine in that chitty looking truck".

Engine gets built on the stand with new head studs and the turbos get mocked up....Damned if the 64/71 doesn't have some unacceptable shaft play. Back on the phone to Chris at ED and then a 66/74 is on the way with a polished cover-go big or go home, right?
As I look at the mocked up motor I ask where the oil goes if the cover is getting a breather (I'm dumb, and I was curious). That was when he ordered the one piece valve cover from Keating with the oil fill cap, probably not the most cost effective way but it sure is nice. And it does add some girdling strength.

Oh, and I made Gary have Keating cnc "Southern Diesel and Performance" on top. Gary hated all that advertising, if you know Gary then you know he likes to pick and choose his projects. He works his azz off but prefers to do it on what he wants to.

Gary has been awesome through the whole process and even pretty patient as I add more stuff. I can't wait till she's all done. Garys wife will be happy, too. She's got to be tired of seeing me.

I have let off some of the story to protect the innocent and in the interest of space. Plus I'm tired of typing on this little phone.

I'll try some pics now.

Attachments

• phpjpWXSIAM.jpg
    phpjpWXSIAM.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0
  • php3okd9uAM.jpg
    php3okd9uAM.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
  • phpKZWRQcAM.jpg
    phpKZWRQcAM.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_3.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2_2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Started with JD bodies but had stock lines. Got 3 sizes of 12 valve bodies to see which size functions best. He just put them in and I'm not sure which size got first place, 5x25 is a guess, though.
I'm sure you want more details than can currently provide but will try to get them.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I believe I saw a few pics of the beast on a random cell phone. I should have stopped on the way back to Ohio and taken a gander at it.

This thing snowballed. A race truck was not the original goal.

I can't build this type of thing (or even the simple build it began as), so I had to find someone-got lucky as I already knew and had experience with Gary.

I understand build, not buy. But I couldnt. This is this truck's third life. I built the previous two but they were not engine builds of this type. More alternate use type stuff.

A build thread isnt really my thing but Gary deserves recognition and credit for what's been done and the finished product when we get there.

I will be more diligent with pics and maybe even get some video when it cranks the first time.

I also invited Zach from Hamilton out in response to his post about measuring clearances on another thread. If he comes, I will grab some pics of that, too. Would be very interesting.

Back