gauging interest or need in CR fuel lines

triton

Scarlet Fever
the stock lines are...

8mm od x 3mm id - rail to injector
6mm od x 2.4mm id - pump to rail
both lines are rated to 1800bar ( just over 26K )

I'm able to get lines that are custom built .....

8mm od x 3mm id - Stainless Steel - rail to injector
10mm od x 4 mm id - Stainless Steel - pump to rail
both lines are rated @ 2200bar ( almost 32K )

Of course these lines aren't cheap and would run over $1000 + shipping for the set. I haven't seen anyone selling higher psi rated lines though and with the psi we're running, it doesn't seem to safe using stock lines.

I know on a dyno run with my truck, it was taken to 4K rpm's and the rail psi was up around 29K..... fuel started leaking from the motor. On closer inspection, I couldn't find any where that fuel could have come from. I'm thinking the psi was so high though... it must have came through the end of one of the fuel lines ??? It never leaked again once that run was over ??

anyway, just thought I'd see if anyone would spend the extra coin on something like these lines.

I would spend the extra coin. The larger ID of the lines would help with more flow and if you had a modded rail I think it would increase flow even more. The safety issue is a big thing to. Who is going to be making them, Sheid???

Joe

No, it's a company I got with in England. They specialize in the design and manufacture of sheathed and unsheathed diesel fuel injection pipe systems. They build for all the larger diesel manufacturers. It's taken about a months of talking with them to design larger lines. They had their engineers looking into it but, apparently the rail to injector lines can't be made any bigger and still have the stock size ends. 6 weeks for delivery.

the stock lines are...

8mm od x 3mm id - rail to injector
6mm od x 2.4mm id - pump to rail

I think you have this backwards. Pump to rail should be larger than rail to injectors.

I think you have this backwards. Pump to rail should be larger than rail to injectors.

correct you are. I was hoping to be able to have larger rail to injector line and was the whole reason I contacted the company. Still, SS lines with a higher psi rating is a +

Ty- thats a lot of $.02, for me at least

Believe me, I agree. Nothing I could afford anytime soon. It possible for me to have them made though and have a few sets to sell if the interested was there.

I think you could generate A LOT more interest in stainless lines for a p-pump on a common rail head.

Ty, did you give up on the 6.7 rail? I know they had larger lines, what did you find out on making it work?

wasn't me looking into that. I have a modded rail so it's larger anyway.

Although it's possible larger rail to injector lines would help, we've seen many trucks over 1000hp without them. The big plus I thought, is the higher psi rating these lines have and they'd look pretty sweet being SS

As mentioned, the pump to rail line would definitely benefit though so I could see many of those selling.

Man, my bad I could have sworn it was you. I'm with you on burst rating and I love shiny stuff. Shane has a larger single rail feed out already by the way.

Yeah, I know Shane has the one line, I've yet to see and rail to injector lines though. There's a need for a bigger line for those with dual kits from the top pump and with the Dmax pump bends

What is the passage size in the injector body? If it is smaller then the rail to injector line ID (which I pretty sure it is) then I really see no point. Stainless would be nice thought. The stockers get pretty crudy looking up here.

Yeah I see no benifit to bigger unless you drill out the rail and pump fittings. Then you get into the problem of less material to seal the swage to the fitting and rail.

Yeah I see no benifit to bigger unless you drill out the rail and pump fittings. Then you get into the problem of less material to seal the swage to the fitting and rail.

I drilled out all the rail fittings on my Dmax to .093(2.36MM) The 2nd CP3 rail fitting cam .125ID. No troubles so far.

What is the passage size in the injector body? If it is smaller then the rail to injector line ID (which I pretty sure it is) then I really see no point. Stainless would be nice thought. The stockers get pretty crudy looking up here.

Won't that depend on the volume the injector can move and not necessarily the size of the hole ?

I suppose the pump fitting could be drilled out. If using a modded rail, that end is drilled out.

I bought the tooling to make the custom SS lines, They are very difficult to bend, the lowest burst rating is 30,000 psi with a 4:1 SF, so actually 120,000 psi burst pressure. The problem with the rail to injector lines, is all of the sharp bends. We can and do make all of the other lines, including larger ID lines to the rail from the CP3, it makes more available rail pressure with smoother delivery (no bouncy needle on the gauge). Of course you will only notice an increase with a big CP3, huge injectors and alot of injection duration.

I have a customer running one of our big CP3's with a 5 x 12, or 240 hp injector on an 05, he was making right at 26k RP with pressure fluctuations. With the line, fitting and a rail with just the port enlarged to accept the larger line, he now pegs the sensor at max resolution with no fluctuation. If the sensor would read more pressure, who knows what it is really making.

IMG_1734.JPG

I didn't know you had the tooling to do any lines. Well, when ever you get caught up, a Dmax top pump line to rail would be nice to have :)

What is the I.D on your line ?

I didn't know you had the tooling to do any lines. Well, when ever you get caught up, a Dmax top pump line to rail would be nice to have :)

What is the I.D on your line ?

We have several sizes from 0.125" to 0.204", factory line from CP3 to rail is 0.116"

It might be possible to relocate the rail, over and lower then you could make the bends to the connector tubes much easier, I might look into that.

Won't that depend on the volume the injector can move and not necessarily the size of the hole ?

The inside of the body is what I am refering to. The feed passage can only flow so much. If it's flow capacity is lower than the line flow going to a larger line will not accomplish much if anything. That said I dont think it will hurt anything either.

Back