Gear driven power steering pump

jedeka

I'm am trying to locate someone that has a gear driven power steering pump, without piggybacked to a vacuum pump. I am changing some things on my pulling truck and was hoping I could get some better steering with my spooled axles. I cannot use hyd steering assist in my class. I have lockout hubs on the front axle, but still wanted some better assist. I was thinking the flow was better on these bread truck pumps. I know my gearbox can handle up to 1500 psi. Thanks.

4bt motors used just the saganaw pump without the vac pump that bolts onto the front cover. Not sure if it is better than the stock setup but it works fine on our truck.

Jedeka, I have done this on a VP24v Fummins I built for a customer. It works awesome. I sourced the pump and the accessory coupler from a 12V 5.9 out of an F700. The F700 had a HUGE power steer res and was just plain ugly. I sourced a power steer res from an International S series with a DT466 in it. The pump works so well that the the steering wheel can be turned with a finger or two jockeying around at slow speeds to park and such. I have a hydro shop that I work with and they set me up with the fittings and hose to bring it all together.

Brent.

Last edited:
BDS, thanks for the input ! Just the info I was hoping to get. Do you know if you used a ZF or Vickers pump? Any part # ? Thanks !!

I have one off of a 4bt laying in the shop. I will see if there are any numbers visible on it.

I will try and get to my local truck salvage yard and see what I can come up with. I know they have several 4BT engines.

Sorry, been gone for a bit... I found flow rates somewhere and I can not remember where I found them. I did use ZF. Whatever pump you get your hands on will be way more than the OEM for flow. the 4bt/6bt F series trucks pumps will be your better choice. I was going to use one from a S series international that had a L10 cummins in it... until I found somewhere by running the numbers off the pump that the flow PSI was WAY to much for what I was trying to do. Then i found the F series in the junk yard. I got lucky...it was a hunch that i had to try it in the first place and it worked great!

I'll try and find the PSI and flow info for ya....

I have a LUK gear driven pump with no vacuum on my Fummins. I had to shim the valve on it so much that It has almost no assist at idle just so it would play nice witht he Ford Hydroboost. That pump puts out crazy pressure but I think the flow rate is low. I cant figure it out, the pump is louder (in the truck) than the 12v itself.

I will do some digging I have the pressures and flow rate here some where, oh here they are.

163BAR equals 2364.115 psi. I had my LUK pump reset at a local hydraulic shop that specializes in truck power steering boxes. cost me $45 to add the right shims and test for max pressure and flow(gpm). my pump stock had 2250 psi and 4.25 gpm. the pressure valve looks exactly like the one in a GM saginaw pump. you can do it your self, pull the valve out of the LUK pump, unscrew the hex ( it has a small screen in it) on the end of the valve and add 2 or3 shims along with the shims already there (if any)(he took the shims out of an old saginaw pump) ,do not loose the small ball or spring. reinstall the valve and test the pressure, I think he used 3 shims on my pump. it tested at 1650 psi. and 4.25 gpm. saginaw gear boxes and hydroboost can use up to 1800 psi. I talked to LEE Powersteering in LA. they build nascar gear boxes , pumps, and high performance off road stuff, and that`s what they told me . 1800 is max but set it to 1650 or so. put a "T" in the out let of the pump and put a high pressure gauge ( high side from an oxygen welding regulator) and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel all the way to right or left and read the pressure gauge. do not hold the wheel too long, 2 or 3 seconds will give max pressure on the gauge. after I saw how he did it, I know how to adjust the pressure in any saginaw or LUK pump. hope this helps capable people to adjust their own pumps. add shims to LOWER pressure, REMOVE shims to raise psi. changing the pressure will not change flow (gpm) LEE told me hydroboost systems can use up to 4.5 gpm. most stock pumps put out about 1200 psi more ore less

Last edited:
Go to a parts house and tell them you need a powersteering pump for a 86-92 Grunman P-30 step van. They should be able to bring up the part number. It is a P-series Saginaw pump with two return lines. I paid 60 bucks without a core.

Last edited:
If you need the accessory drive, you can get them from a cummins parts house. I have seen the complete setup on eBay as well.

if you have the dodge setup with vacuum pump, you can usually find someone on 4btswaps to trade with.

The problem is know one knows the pressure and flow rating of these pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back