gear???

bob 99

Im looking at changing gears this winter. I have 3.54's now and am wanting to go to 4.56. the problem being that i can find 4.56 for the dana 60 but i cant for the dana 80 closest thing i can find is a 4.63 is that close enought to let i bump or not.

Yes it's close enough. We run bigger gear splits than that in all of the trucks we set up for pulling. 4.30/4.56 or 4.63, 4.56/4.88, 4.88/5.13

If your going to go with Dana Brand gears. The 4.63s are going to take a substantial drop in price come the first of the year.

707060-1x list price as of the 7-1-2012 Price sheet is $1077.44
List price on effective 1-1-2013 Is going to be $861.95 Dana distributors are selling Axle parts as cheap as 50% off list. Thats almost $100 difference.

ok sounds good is 4.56 low enough i was gonna try and run high first and lock the converter? thanx for the tip 1 pieceatatime.

If its not driven on the street do yourself a BIG favor and put 4.88's and some sort of locking diff's in and be done with it!

it not street drivin at all i was thinkin spools front and rear and the disconnect cable so i can still turn lol.

4 low 3rd converter locked with 4.88

from phone

Is that what you run?

I am confused as you how you can run two different grear ratios in the front end and the rear end with out them binding. Do your run 2 different size tires to keep the ratios to the ground the same?

Is that what you run?

I am confused as you how you can run two different grear ratios in the front end and the rear end with out them binding. Do your run 2 different size tires to keep the ratios to the ground the same?

It's on dirt. It doesn't really hurt anything as long as something can skid.

Is that what you run?

Your spinning on dirt. It won't hurt to have a little more front wheel speed than rear because the front doesn't hook up as good. I just run the same ratio in front and rear.

from phone

I had thought about 3low but the tracks here in Missouri are short and that's a lot of shifting. Lol they are about the same mph I think.

Running in high makes no sense at all. More broken parts. Harder on the trans. If you want to not shift then leave the line in second gear, lock converter and hit 3rd (need manual valve body)

from phone

I had thought about 3low but the tracks here in Missouri are short and that's a lot of shifting. Lol they are about the same mph I think.

What about when they get tacky-ish in spring? From what I've seen, your gonna need first then. However I have no idea what gears these guys are running either.

Always ran 3rd low, and alot of the tracks in missouri I wish I had another gear yet.

there is about 4 mph differnace low being slower. i would almost think that not shifting would be easier but i dnt know that for a fact. goin with 4.88 now spicer or yukon?

Figure the gear ratios.

2.45(1st gear)x rear gear ratio if your on the high side
1(direct)x2.72(low range tcase)x rear gear ratio this is if your on the low side.

High side of tcase 1st gear calculations
2.45x3.54=8.673=way too fast
2.45x4.88=11.956= probably a little too fast, but more importantly, hard on output shafts, and tcases!
Low side direct
1x2.72x4.88=13.27 which is pretty good
Low side 2nd gear 3.54 gears
1.45x2.72x3.54=13.96(aka the same as 5.13 gears in direct) with is a little too slow.

Back