General waste of my time

This is what the manifold flange looked like when I got it to where I was happy with it, there is enough that the T6 port would have enough room.

I would 100% agree with you if I was using the old style pulse manifold you told me was no good. It has a lot of meat where the flange mounts. The manifold that is currently on the truck doesn't have much material in that area. After this weekends pull I will be taking everything apart anyway. I will get a better look and take some pictures.

The 1.18 being a divided housing would make it more responsive, and drive it harder if the exhaust manifold and adapter kept it divided all the way into the turbine housing (pulse style). If the adapter is open, or if the manifold is open throat before it gets to the turbine housing it will act like an open housing.
How big is the wastegate port on the 1.18? How much bigger is the flap than the port? You can enlarge the port until the flap barely covers it, and them run an adjustable pressure regulator to regulate boost going to the wastegate head. That will allow you to the change how quickly the gate opens, and also allows you to regulate total boost up until the wastegate port can’t flow enough to limit total boost.
Trial and error. You are savy enough to do it!!

Yes everything is divided so a divided housing should work well. I don't know how big the gate is. This is why I was asking if anybody had any experience with one and how much they will flow compared to an open 1.0 I currently have on.

Just got shipping confirmation on the 1.18 gated housing. Should be here wed.

Does anyone have info on a Cat serial 3ZJ04306 ? Waste of time or power to be had with bigger injectors and turbo? This truck is daily worked.

Should be able to make some good clean power with it. My dad worked a very stout 3ZJ for a while 500 hp to the tires had more in it, too.

Any factory size nozzle thats good for 500 - 550hp max to the ground that match these pistons? Also a decent turbo to support this?

Last edited:
My dad ran the factory nozzles, tuned pump and a the 78mm Borg Warner Cat replacement turbo (don't remember the BW part number off hand).

Really only pump tuning? This truck started life as either a 330 maybe 350hp. I just assumed nozzles wouldn't support that big of an increase. That's almost double the hp of the way it left the factory!

Any factory size nozzle thats good for 500 - 550hp max to the ground that match these pistons? Also a decent turbo to support this?

No, they would not match the pistons, that is the issue with mechanical cats.

To do it properly and make it reliable a person could use the 10R1439 cylinder pack which is 14.6:1 with a steel crown and goes along with the 0R8789 nozzle, this is what the factory 587hp generator engines use.

If I got an adapter to mount the hp acert turbo gt4294 to this 3406 that would spool fast and be able to support the 500hp? Mostly because its just laying here looking for a job.

Not reliably, while it may have been used on the acert, it is considered a road block in the system because it is too small, GT42s were used on C12s.

Not reliably, while it may have been used on the acert, it is considered a road block in the system because it is too small, GT42s were used on C12s.

I want to order an Acert to T6 adapter to see if I can mount Acert twins on a 2012 ISX to really make people mad.

This is where I get confused on turbo's. If the 4294 only needs to support say 600 crank hp doesn't that fall within its map? Should flow 80lb/min. I understand its small on the exhaust side but is there a disadvantage to running over the wastegate all the time? Truck barely ever sees hwy miles, just constant stop signs every couple miles on back country roads hauling grain from fields. In my mind a turbo thats always lit for more instant throttle response would be ideal for this application. Even if extra measure had to be taken to have more watsegate? Or am I way off?

Or should I just hang on to this gt42 to put on our c12?

This is where I get confused on turbo's. If the 4294 only needs to support say 600 crank hp doesn't that fall within its map? Should flow 80lb/min. I understand its small on the exhaust side but is there a disadvantage to running over the wastegate all the time? Truck barely ever sees hwy miles, just constant stop signs every couple miles on back country roads hauling grain from fields. In my mind a turbo thats always lit for more instant throttle response would be ideal for this application. Even if extra measure had to be taken to have more watsegate? Or am I way off?

Or should I just hang on to this gt42 to put on our c12?

The turbine size is the problem, it becomes a problem even on the S400s, that is the limiting factor, its hardly ever the compressor.

The turbine size is the problem, it becomes a problem even on the S400s, that is the limiting factor, its hardly ever the compressor.

Seems how an adapter needs to be used anyhow couldn't you just integrate say a 40mm watsegate into the adapter? That combined with the 1.44 with internal gate should keep things in check right? I am guessing the reason nobody does this is it would be cheaper to just buy a turbo with a bigger turbine? In my screwed up head it seems like it should work.

Back