Getting a 4x4 Dialed in

Delinquent

I'm Wrong...
I have a good buddy who has been taking his truck to the 1/4 drag strip a few times lately. The truck is an extended cab long bed 4x4, 95 Model with an automatic. The truck has a set of 5x0.012's, 20* of timing and a set of small twins. Ht3b and S300G I believe. The truck has been tuned very well and makes a little over 600hp. (607 to be exact) Truck has a fully billett Suncoast unit, and can lock up in 1st. It does have some Tuff country trac bars and has a leveleling kit upfront, which consist of the springs, not spacers. Wheels and tire are aluminum 16x10's with 285x75x16 Terra Grapplers.

The truck has been :
12.86 at 105.8mph with a 2.20 60ft Time
12.79 at 106.4mph with a 2.09 60ft Time

The truck spins the front end hard. I think this is causing the poor 60's. What is the best way to keep the front end planted to try and pull some decent 60's.

I have been thinking going with a 1/2ton Coil up front and Clamping the overloads in the back.

Is there anything else to try?

What kind of air pressures should we try?

I believe with a better sixty it could go 12.50's, what do you guys think?

I ran some pretty wide terra grapplers at one point and they just never bit for me. I think I had them down around 25lbs at the lowest one night.

try 25 in the fronts 40 in the rear lockup as soon as it hits 2nd

I was going to ask about the lock up timing. He locks the converter as soon as he launches, almost immmediatley.

Wow, those 60' times suck! With a 1.75 60' time, I'll bet he'd run 12.4's.

How much boost is he launching with? Does it bog down when he locks the converter in 1st?

With that much power, you ought to be able to cut at least a 1.8x 60' time, regardless of the 285 wide tires.

My 350HP 98' Quad Cab Long Bed daily driver on 285/75/16 Bridgestones will do 2.0 60' times and I think that's terrible. My problem is a lack of horsepower.

[ame="http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1413672877670"]Incompatible Browser | Facebook[/ame]

couldnt get facebook to work so he uploaded it to youtube...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UyNx4dQP8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UyNx4dQP8c[/ame]

What's he leaving at, boost-wise? 10-15psi is a good place to start, and he can go up from there.

thanks for posting James, and to Holmes for the video. I have got to get a better phone.

He leaves hard, If I'm not mistaken, 30lb or better. He's afraid anything lower and when the tc locks it will get under the chargers.

Anyway, the twins are coming off, and another setup in its place. It would just be nice to get the suspension kinda dialed in.

I agree, it looks like he's leaving with too much boost for that tire setup. He should try launching with 12-15 psi and not locking the converter until 2nd gear.

thanks for posting James, and to Holmes for the video. I have got to get a better phone.

He leaves hard, If I'm not mistaken, 30lb or better. He's afraid anything lower and when the tc locks it will get under the chargers.

Anyway, the twins are coming off, and another setup in its place. It would just be nice to get the suspension kinda dialed in.

If I had his $$ I could burn mine! :bang LOL

The same exact thing was happening to a dude here locally....at 30psi against the converter his turbo was nearly surging, and bogged as soon as he left the line. He left at 15psi and his 60fts went from 2.2 to 1.8. There's only so much one can do with the suspension, if he's leaving the line too hard, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Last edited:
Back