Glow Plug Use on Lowered Compression Drag Engine

Michael

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I'll be running a lower-compression LBZ in my new race truck. Just curious if anybody still runs glow plugs to try to get one started, as opposed to using lots of cans of ether. My biggest issue is that my only crewmember is usually my 9-year-old daughter, and she is not yet a certified ether sprayer!

Seriously, any downside to just running a momentary switch to energize the glow plugs during start-up?

Not a problem. Just make sure you run a relay and dont put the load thru the switch. I would control the ground on the relay with the switch.

Thanks! I had that exact "system" on a 6.2L Chevy shop truck I drove in the 80's, when its glow plug controller failed and I balked at the replacement cost! I saw it as a theft deterrent as well, mounted the button under the steering column so you could either hit it with your knee or reach down and press it!

Glow plugs

I have always run the glow plugs up until the new build for the dragster. It does help in the cold climates. I still run 16.5 to 1 so it would still start pretty good anyhow. Jeff

The only issue I have seen is people running the EGT's to high and burning the tip of the glow plug off. While it's not a lot it still does happen. Keep the EGT's down and you will not have an issue. I would pull the glow plug once a season and check them for tip wear too.

Not a problem. Just make sure you run a relay and dont put the load thru the switch. I would control the ground on the relay with the switch.

This would involve running LB7 12 volt glow plugs though. The stock LBZ 4.7 volt glow plugs probably wouldn't like 12 volts from a relay being applied to them for very long.

This might be a stupid question....... would it do any good to just point a heat gun or two into the intake during a cold start??

LBZ and new have an intake heater in the intake system just for doing the same as the heat gun trick and it does help in cold weather. Most toss them out due to flow concerns.

This would involve running LB7 12 volt glow plugs though. The stock LBZ 4.7 volt glow plugs probably wouldn't like 12 volts from a relay being applied to them for very long.

Not sure if the two glow plugs interchange. One has threads in the middle of the body and the other has threads at the top.

Not sure if the two glow plugs interchange. One has threads in the middle of the body and the other has threads at the top.

Thanks for the info! Crap, I may have to get a bit trickier on this one. I'll have to check out the glow plugs on my LBZ and LB7. I wonder if the LBZ ones would survive at a nominal 6 volts, by pairing them up with two in series? We used to do stuff like that using 12V components on 24V forklifts. I'll be using LBZ heads & electronics, but was hoping to dump the glow plug controller.

Michael, I sent you a pm with some info on the glow plug system, hope it helps.

Michael we build the glowplugs here so I can check any differences between the LBZ and LB7's for ya. Also maybe a controller that would work for you as a stand alone.

Michael, I don't use glow plugs and it starts fine without either unless really, really cold outside.

Check out the video at 1:20....that's some sweet redneck engineering right there....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0o1o5W_f6o[/ame]

I was surprised to see the same setup under the hood of our MT865, mapped in the ECM to spray automatically.

I just checked and your right. He may be able to use an LLY controller then since they are also the 4.7V plugs. I believe it is alot more primitive of a controller than the LBZ, so it may be able to be hooked up with a momentary switch. Like stated by Rob though, until you get down to freezing they can normally be started without them. And you can always hook up a block heater to preheat it instead.

Either assist is the $hit. Whether its true or not, I don't know but there is a certain red tractor that pulls with ntpa, he doen't have to have any help starting his tractor, even though ever other tractor has to in this class, and when 85% of the other tractors fall under there charger on the big end, this tractor never does. Been accused of using either assist. (this was a few years ago, nothing current)

Back