Votes: 28 47.5%
  • Stay 2WD

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Go part time 4WD

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carcrafter22

So I am about 90% sure I want to go all wheel drive for my 67 F100 by using a modern chassis and just putting the body on it and using a full time 4wd transfer case. What do you guys think? Go AWD or stay 2wd? This will be 90% street driven and see some dragstrip use. I'm not looking to gain every last tenth so the little extra weight isnt going to kill me.

Engine will be my 3.9L with ported head, cam, procharger D1sc, HE351, custom intake and header, 650cc pump, large injectors.

:evilAWD...because that's the only advantage you'll have over a cummins :poke: LOL

:evilAWD...because that's the only advantage you'll have over a cummins :poke: LOL

:blahblah1: Thems fightin words.lol

I am honestly considering using a chevy 2500 front end and making my own frame.

I know I want to run an IFS so the diff is fixed and I can set the truck down as low as possible (cant do that with a moving front axle). I would gladly consider other options but I dont know if I trust the little diff in the half ton trucks since even the silverado SS guys have problems with them with big power and I dont know of any other good setups. I know the 9.25 diffs in the 2500's hold up very well to big diesel tq and I already have an 8 lug rear axle I can stick in it.

I wish there was a standard ford 5 lug bolt pattern IFS that had a tough diff.

Anyone have good suggestions on chassis? More importantly a good front 4wd IFS? I dont mind making my own frame since I plan to backhalf whatever frame I get anyway for the rear 4 link.

As for drivetrain I really want to use a 6l90 but noone has a controller ready yet so it looks like a built 4l85e will get the nod. I am strongly considering an NV149 transfer case from a silverado SS since in all my extensive searching I cant find a better option for a decent price. For the rear axle I have been thinking about this for almost a year and I really want a 9" but I'm not convinced a 31 spline 9" will last. I could drop about $3500 on a bullet proof 35 spline setup with an ARB air locker or I could just use the 9.5" 33 spline axle I have with will work with a chevy 2500 IFS or if I go with a ford 5 lug pattern I can just narrow it and run ford 9" housing ends to eliminate the C clips and change the bolt pattern at that time. If I run the 9.5" its gonna weigh a bit more (but this is a street vehicle mainly anyway) but more importantly I can run a $500 eaton E locker that acts like an ARB and be done with it..... so $500 vs $3500 hmm.... :D

So right now looking like built 4l85e, nv149, 9.5" 14 bolt, 9.25" IFS with custom built frame.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
HMMWV transfercase could be used...They take a beating very well...15K pound truck turning 37 inch mud tires on pavement...And you can get them pretty cheap...

:blahblah1: Thems fightin words.lol

I am honestly considering using a chevy 2500 front end and making my own frame.

What do you guys think?

I think you've got an awesome idea...was only poking fun before...I'd love to see a babysuzi give a 4B cummins a tough time, the duramax is and does.

Is a 3.9l going to be able to make enough power where your going to need awd? Im not saying the extra weight will kill you but will there be a point where it woudl be beneficial

Those AWD SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee's seem to handle HP and TQ. That's obviously not a cheap chassis, but you might get some good ideas.

Next truck we plan on building is a lowered 3rd gen 4wd 1500 dodge. The front axle shafts could be a weak link though.

Tobin

might look at the trailblazer ss chassis... soaks up a 400 hp gasser every day.. awd all the time with a 4l80 i believe for the older ones..
oh and TCI has a 6l80 controller and trans too...

Thanks for the ideas guys I like em. I don't know if my little four banger will be up to the task but I hope to at least crack 150hp with 150lb/min of air and 650cc lmfao!! As for the jeep srt8 I never thought of that one I know they will take some insane power I think there's one awd srt8 on youtube laying down 1000hp or so it's crazy fast I'll look into them more.

Please don't spread rumors that are completely untrue. The trailblazerss uses a weak front diff that even in stock form fails often behind stock power. The transmission is a joke in a 5000# awd suv since it's the 4l70 or4l65 I believe ( can't remember which right now and I'm on my phone so I'm not searching). The reserve is good and the same one I'm planning to use it's the 9.5" 14 bolt.

Noone has a standalone for the 6l80e in production least of all a worthless company like gfi. Gfi sells an over priced 4l80e that has been converted to 6gears with a valve body mod and other changes but he gear ratios are stupid and basicly worthless so you'd be better off just stickin with a much cheaper standard 4l80e instead of claiming u have a 6spd with two completely worthless gears.

I wish someone did make a controller for the real 6l90e it has good ratios minus that steep 4.XX first gear but I could so live with that. Imagine running a 4.10 axle gear and still cruise at 1600rpm highway thanks to the 6l90 6th gear.

Back