God help me, fixing a 1/2 ton Cummins swap cluster&?@$...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
I'll not mention the shop (from south Florida) that has its sticker in the back window of the truck or the fact their employee that did the install loves butt connectors and electrical tape..

I'll list the known issues...

1. Wiring to interface eveything from the gas truck to the 12 valve/47RE is completely hacked. It looks like something Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles wired. THIS IS WHERE THE MOST HELP IS NEEDED!!! Most of the gauges dont work in the dash but the sending units work fine (pulled the gas sending unit last night to verify operation). Anybody got a diagram or anything to help me fix this mess, they still have stuff wired into the ECM mounted on the passenger side firewall. The fuse box on the driverside inner fender is just as bad with random wires just plugged in places for power.....

2. Fuel system is hacked, no pickup in the tank, just a tube running down to the bottom, they used cheap rubber line that I can assure you is collapsing under suction, they spliced multiple sections of line together in the engine bay and most of it is leaking, they used crappy hose clamps, all of that will be fixed with blue push-loc hose and proper fittings. The fuel system should be hosed like this if I remember correctly, tank, fuel line, lift pump, then what appears to be a fuel heater or something next to the pump, then to the filter, then to the fitting at the AFC end of the injection pump, then the return line coming from the timing cover end of the injection pump returning to the tank. There is also a line coming off the AFC housing that just dumps into mid air. Luckily I've got a 100% factory p-pump truck that I own I can atleast go to for some help...

3. Battery cables, or lack there of, I wouldn't of used that size of cable to wire the battery on a riding lawn mower, so we have to go down to the battery shop for all new cable and terminals. Should there be ground cable/straps from the block to the frame and body to the engine as well? Personally you can never be too grounded in a vehicle. All of the ground cables are probably a foot or better to long.

4. Probably going to have to have a new rear driveshaft built cause the two piece one in there is scary at best, you can see the bed floor is mashed upwards from the bottom where it appears they slung a driveshaft out of it at some point.

Last edited:
Any idea what year model vehicle and year engine?

Monkey Fist Rage

Sorry, I figured people would assume its a dodge, the truck is a 98 1/2 ton and came with a 360 and automatic and 2wd.

I have no idea what year the engine is, both data plates are missing off the timing cover. This truck is like having 10 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bucket. My 3/4 ton truck has alot more room under the hood...

Sorry, I figured people would assume its a dodge, the truck is a 98 1/2 ton and came with a 360 and automatic and 2wd.

I have no idea what year the engine is, both data plates are missing off the timing cover. This truck is like having 10 pounds of crap in a 1 pound bucket. My 3/4 ton truck has alot more room under the hood...

I probably shouldnt have said vehicle. Tapatalk doesnt say what forum its in. I assumed 1/2 ton 12v.

Does it have the fuel heater and pre screen or a fitting straight into the lift pump.

Pm sent also.

Monkey Fist Rage

I probably shouldnt have said vehicle. Tapatalk doesnt say what forum its in. I assumed 1/2 ton 12v.

Does it have the fuel heater and pre screen or a fitting straight into the lift pump.

Pm sent also.

Monkey Fist Rage

It looks like a heater next to it, not much room to see down in there Lol...

Would it be more worth your time to get a harness out of a junkyard and swap it over instead of repairing a hacked harness?

Would it be more worth your time to get a harness out of a junkyard and swap it over instead of repairing a hacked harness?

X2, much easier. I'm pretty sure they used the same gauge cluster except the tachs are different. If you put gov springs in maybe you can make use of the gas tach. Grounds go on both sides of the block. Pass side in the 4th bolt where the engine mount is, driver's side under the vac pump. At the terminals they have a small wire that grounds on the body somewhere. You are correct on the fuel system and small line from the AFC goes to the head for a boost reference.

post some pictures of this mess.

Hell, I'm in for some pictures.....:pop:

:nopics:

Last edited:
I'm still going to put frame and chassis grounds on the body. I was thinking the AFC wasto the head but I couldnt see much in there...

The AFC should have a "T" on it with a line going to the turbo as well if you want to keep it stock.

Why couldn't you just look for a factory 98/12v harness and pcm?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My 96 afc only plumbs to the head.
Minor detail though.

Monkey Fist Rage

Why couldn't you just look for a factory 98/12v harness and pcm?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Do you need the ECM cause it has a RE Transmission or are they like a First Gen and only use it to work the alternator? I can eliminate whatever I need or want at this point. If I could find the complete harness and ECM we could do that.

My 96 afc only plumbs to the head.
Minor detail though.

Monkey Fist Rage

My 96 does the same. I'm going to start fresh today and work on it about 10 hours...

The 96 motor I had plumbed to both turbo and head. Guess it depends on build date.

I finally got some sleep last night so I'm thinking a little better today, sleeping 3 hours a night in like 3 days sucks...

What is all needed to run the transmission pcm/electrical wise?

Yes you need the PCM with a RE trans, if it was a RH then no. It also runs the alternator, A/C, and tach.

Where in Lakeland are you? I am working at the Lakeland Electric power plant on Lk. Parker rd.

Tobin

Yes you need the PCM with a RE trans, if it was a RH then no. It also runs the alternator, A/C, and tach.

Where in Lakeland are you? I am working at the Lakeland Electric power plant on Lk. Parker rd.

Tobin

I believe the RH needs pcm for OD as well

I believe the RH needs pcm for OD as well

No. Both can be run by simple circuits.

OD and lockup can be on an RE also, but an RE needs the PCM for gov pressure regulation, hence the (R)egulated (E)lectronically

Tobin, i should have known better, but I thought photography and event coverage were your primary source of income?
Monkey Fist Rage

Last edited:
Back