GoGo diesel direct solenoid upgrade

Mooring Product

I just don't care
I was having trans issues for the past year or so. As the truck tried to get into direct it would flare a little, but it only did on very few occasions. Three weeks ago I went to the track and ran three passes on spray and the last run was all she could take. I damaged direct which also means I lost reverse. It was a long ride home at 65mph but it did get me home.

I took the truck over to Doug @ GoGo diesel and had him rebuild it. I was going to go with a Sun Coast but I figured if the Ford product lasted for almost 100,000 then why spend the extra money.

He did install his custom direct drive solenoid and must say I am more then happy with it. It now has quick firm shifts all the way up to direct.

Will see how it does at the track next month. See if I can go faster then 13.41 @99mph.

Thanks Doug.

I've heard really good things about the suncoast upgrade on PSN. Toying with this idea too, I think I have multiple solenoids that are "lazy" my shifting is just down right terrible until the transmission is warmed up, then it disappears...

I've heard really good things about the suncoast upgrade on PSN. Toying with this idea too, I think I have multiple solenoids that are "lazy" my shifting is just down right terrible until the transmission is warmed up, then it disappears...

This is what mine was doing and I'm sure its why my trans finally told me to go screw myself.

It much cheaper to take care of the solenoids then it is to pull the trans.

This is what mine was doing and I'm sure its why my trans finally told me to go screw myself.

It much cheaper to take care of the solenoids then it is to pull the trans.

I already had my original trans replaced, this one in it now is a reman with maybe 5k miles on it... it's still warrantied, but I've brought it in the shop twice now and its sat there for over one month total time and they've fixed nothing with it.

my trans is relentlessly screwy as well. no tune, it'll shift fairly decent but it flares and seems to have a delay from 2 to 3 occasionally. it's been totally redone by JW maybe 15k miles ago (don't drive the truck much anymore)... it doesn't do it too often w/o a tune in it but it'll also, when maintaining speed 30 or 40 mph, it'll hunt between 2 gears like it's not sure which gear it wants, w/ no change in throttle position.

been running a module for simple add'l power then throw in a tune for long trips where i'm not in town driving (lots of shifting). with a tune it shifts crazy hard, always has since redone. JW gave me a few tunes to try a while back to no avail. I've worked with Doug some, he used to be familiar with it. Have done a few others made for Suncoast trans builds... but the comp never seems to learn the first few gears so I finally gave up.

I always toyed with the idea of changing the solenoids, JW didn't feel it needed new ones but i don't feel like throwing money at it for no reason.

may have to 'reopen' the case with Doug and see what he thinks.

Good to know the solenoid change worked for you and sorry to barge in on your thread, just wanted to share my trans issues as well...

my trans is relentlessly screwy as well. no tune, it'll shift fairly decent but it flares and seems to have a delay from 2 to 3 occasionally. it's been totally redone by JW maybe 15k miles ago (don't drive the truck much anymore)... it doesn't do it too often w/o a tune in it but it'll also, when maintaining speed 30 or 40 mph, it'll hunt between 2 gears like it's not sure which gear it wants, w/ no change in throttle position.

been running a module for simple add'l power then throw in a tune for long trips where i'm not in town driving (lots of shifting). with a tune it shifts crazy hard, always has since redone. JW gave me a few tunes to try a while back to no avail. I've worked with Doug some, he used to be familiar with it. Have done a few others made for Suncoast trans builds... but the comp never seems to learn the first few gears so I finally gave up.

I always toyed with the idea of changing the solenoids, JW didn't feel it needed new ones but i don't feel like throwing money at it for no reason.

may have to 'reopen' the case with Doug and see what he thinks.

Good to know the solenoid change worked for you and sorry to barge in on your thread, just wanted to share my trans issues as well...

Yeah let us know. For $200 its almost worth it to eliminate the possibilities right now for me. $200 gets you all new OEM Ford solenoids... I know to some $200 is a lot, but $200 for anything on these trucks is kind of cheap.

Thanks for posting up, Pete. mdub and I have been discussing this for a while and now he needs to pony up the cash and get it done so I can be absolutely sure it fixes my problem... LOL

Thanks for posting up, Pete. mdub and I have been discussing this for a while and now he needs to pony up the cash and get it done so I can be absolutely sure it fixes my problem... LOL

If I wasn't on unemployment right now, I'd of done it already! My truck is getting worse and worse by the day. I think I have injector issues now too. Its funny cause on the Innovative tunes, it runs rough and has issues shifting until warm, but put it back to stock and its just as bad, BUT, it belches blue smoke out in the lower gears leaving from a stop sign. I dont get why it smokes stock, but with the tunes on it doesn't... Either way, something is wrong. I've got a get together with the local diesel club this weekend, after that its going back to the shop, HOPEFULLY they'll be able to find something wrong this time...:soap:

Dude, I'm with you. Just got my truck back from belching white, diesel flavored smoke and they replaced (yet again) the oil cooler and EGR cooler... :nail: That plus elevated EGT's and they didn't think it might be an injector??? Good luck and I'll be looking to do this just after the holidays...

I think I have injector issues now too. Its funny cause on the Innovative tunes, it runs rough and has issues shifting until warm, but put it back to stock and its just as bad, BUT, it belches blue smoke out in the lower gears leaving from a stop sign. I dont get why it smokes stock, but with the tunes on it doesn't... Either way, something is wrong.

I think you're on the right track. Sounds like injector(s) to me....

So how did the solenoid turn out in your truck????

If your asking me its one of the greatest and cheapest mods to date. Even with the cold weather the trans finds the gears, before it would rev and search.

I still haven't got a chance to run it at the track.

So you put it in and didn't let us know!!!!! I think I found some of my problems I was having... and it's not even totally related. Having ICP issues, finally threw a check engine light and its running really rough and very low on power. It's going in thursday to have this fixed, then I'm going to do some serious driving and see if the transmission issues are still there.

Back