Going CR...need advice

Well right now I have a 01 and have finally decided to get rid of the VP-44 so I think CR is the best bet. I dont know alot about common rails but I do know alittle. Im going to probably get atleast a 04.5. I will be gettin a 4 door 4x4 auto. The first thing im planning on doing is gettin a built auto, I just dont know which one I need to get this is one thing I dont know much about I am a 6spd guy. Also I want to do things different than before I want to stat with supporting mods instead of trying to go fast and realize i gotta do this or that to keep it together. So how far will just studs make it on a common rail? In the end I wanna get to about 700-750hp. So ALL the advice yall can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry for the longer post.

Stock head gasket and studs have worked for 1200+hp without issues.

for a trans your best bet is a fully built auto with laminated or billet flex plate and three billet shafts. hts and gorend would be your best bet for a great built tranny.

as for 700-750 hp

smarty
cam
valve springs
turbo (bigger single or twins)
cp3 (upgraded single or dual)
lift pump
injectors
head studs

ya. you just need studs for these engines. get the tranny ,studs ,5 inch exhuast, 200gph fass, vavles, external gate, and that truck is ready for the whoopin. if you get those you can through what ever mods you want at it. i would look at hts tranny or goereds i think is the name???? o ya and also nadp are making some kick a$$ trannys i would get a complete billet fully race tranny so you dont have to worry about anything. you might want to get a converter lock up controler also for helping the truck on the pre mods side.

Do I need to go fully billet for 700-750hp?

I will have a FASS when I get the truck and after the tranny I think I will get studs and valve springs. I just wanna do it the right way this time. Also I will have a smarty in the mix of that somewhere.

it will but they only flow 14 psi of fuel but lots of people use them i just like to see more fuel pressure then 14. but if you get duel cp3's i heard it dos not make a difference as long as you have some fuel pressure but on singles ive heard of dyno results of more power from putting more psi behind the single cp3. ya if i could do it all over again i would of done it that way 2. if you want to do it right have the peice of mind of your tranny being fully billet.

if i could get all my money back and i could do it over i would do it like this in this order

fully billet tranny, gauges, studs, valves, exhuast,traction bars, air intake, fass, smarty, intake and exhuast manifold, external wastegate, twin turbos, dual cp3's, injecotrs, 32.5inch tires, nitrous thats what i would do.

Oh yea forgot I have guages right now but gotta get 2 more I want a tranny and rail pressure guage too. I kinda wanna make it a sleeper so whats a good exhaust thats not real loud? Also is the intake and exhaust manifold worth the money?

i am running a walbro 392 at 40 psi idle fuel pressure

i would say 04.5-05. are the HP years

Ok just curious on what kind of rail pressure I will need to see and what size injectors do I need for 700-750p?

700-750 you will need the manifolds. there not really worth the money but you need them. 150 hp and up with twin turbos and your good to go. gagues to will need a rp,fp,boost,egts,tranny

Im good on all the guages except the rp and tranny guage.

Will I need to go twins for the hp im looking for or can like a silver bullet work? I know people daily driving a silver bullet and thats on a 2nd gen and I have heard CR's spool a turbo alot better.

Just get the right parts to begin with. You can build a nice, fuel efficient, driver with rwhp in the mid 800's on diesel only and still use it like a truck. There are many combinations you can use, but if you want my exact setup let me know..

morse sent ya a pm.

Everybody keep tellin me everything you know. I have alot to learn about CR's and I want to be pretty knowledgable when I get mine.

Oh yea forgot I have guages right now but gotta get 2 more I want a tranny and rail pressure guage too. I kinda wanna make it a sleeper so whats a good exhaust thats not real loud? Also is the intake and exhaust manifold worth the money?

I think any exhaust will do. I am running silverline's exhaust, it was a kinda loud, and had a little drone with my single turbo, but it really quieted down when I got twins. Not really much louder than stock now. I'm sure you are no stranger to gauges, but Dipricol, and I think Isspro make Rail psi. gauges, as well as Quadzilla makes a Digital one. Good luck, :rockwoot:

Yea im good on guage info thanks though. Just trying to figure other stuff out.

tatkind85 if ya dont mind me asking your setup what do ya got? If ya want you can just pm me.

Whats a good tranny for a good price. Or is it better to get some goerend some dtt or suncoast just trying to firgure stuff out. Also can some fill me in on rail pressure.

I can't say enough good things about my Goerend tranny. As far as rail pressure goes, you should shoot for around 27k psi at WOT. You can get a good modified single pump from Floor it, or other brands, that will let you run some big injectors, but I think most people will tell you to get a dual CP-3 set up. As far as pressure boxes go TS Performance MP-8 is good, the Edge EZ is another popular one. Smarty TNT now has rail pressure settings also. I have had good luck with the smarty, mp8 stack, but I am still on my stock injectors and cp3, dynoing at 536hp. Hope this helps somewhat. :Cheer:

Back