Going to try my hand at water and methanol injection

Sandaholic

Bangin' through the gears
I've been searching this topic on and off for a year or 2, but I got more serious about it in the last few months. I'm going to pick up some parts or a kit next week, but I still have a few questions. I have called around and talked to a few vendor's Devil's Own, Cooling Mist and AIS. They all seem to know their business. But, I keep hearing the same thing from all of them. This is what I'm hearing "Youre gonna want to start spraying at around 10psi...maybe as late as 20."

WTF! No disrespect to any of them, but why would I want to spray that early? I don't imagine my setup is that much different from other diesels? Am I the oddball here, is everyone spraying so soon?

I pretty much have dug my heels in and am going to stick with the thought that there is no way in hell I would need to spray at that low of a boost level. I am currently able to hit 48psi and about 1600-1720 for EGT's that is at WOT btw. Cruising the flats seems to be just fine 700-850 at 70 mph. 3.73's 36ish tires 8000lbs.

An example: I might be under a good load and my boost is at 25-30 and EGT's look great 1050-1100ish That is why I don't want to have the WMI controlled strictly off of boost, the thing would be on all the time when I don't need it. Now I'm sure with enough testing I might find that magic boost level that correlates with EGT's that I am not happy about. Driving around and keeping my eye on the gauges it seems that I don't approach 1250 until 37 psi. I used to be a stickler as far as what I would let my EGT's hit. 1350 was the max for me. Now I am more of the thought process that higher EGT's for a few seconds is not all that bad, unless I'm towing then I would revert back to the 1250-1350 realm.

So question is do I get a progressive EGT based controller or stay with the boost only? If I stay with the boost only it seems that I will have to set it to come on fairly high say 30-35psi. Next question will it have the same effect on cooling at that point? Should I set it for 20-25psi of boost and then just put myself in a go fast toggle button lol! Have the system off until I want to mess around.

So in talking with these guys I have told them I am interested in an EGT controlled setup. They seem to all shy away from this. They say Boost is directly tied to EGT's and it is better to go with the K.I.S.S. theory and leave the EGT controllers well enough alone. For the most part I would agree. I don't however want to have to fiddle with the controller. I'd really like to set it and forget it, which in my mind shouldn't be hard to do.

I was planning on 80/20 mix maybe 75-25. I mainly want it for the cooling effects, but little extra power sounds good as well.

I briefly thought about making my own kit with a hydraulic pump, but I still would like a progressive controller and at that point I might as well just get a kit.

Didn't really want to spend more than 5-6 bills on this. Input?

My snow kit has the option to reference boost or egt depending what you want to base your map off of

im currently playing around with snows stage two and im using the 375 and 625 nozzles. yes you dont want it to be on all the time but thats wat the switch is for and at the same time usually with more boost comes more fuel and more fuel comes heat so if u sprayed at a low setting (mines starts at 10 and sprays wide open by 35 and my max boost is around where urs is 48)it would be like putting a fire out before it gets bigger. yes it may come on often but your egts dont come up nearly as quickly let alone reach the same degree(ex: going from 1600 to 1400 tops). Also i noticed that when it does come on, the truck picks up quite easily even if your foots in the same place (partial throttle)the truck will keep accelerating(not like a run away just a steady pull). Now if you were towing this would be very good ud gain more power when u need with out worrying about your egts going up. granted you could base it off egts but i honestly dont see the point.. why wait till they are almost too hot to do anything when you can just prevent it all together? Im not sure wat rain-xs mix is but im using their 2-n-1 -25degree stuff

im currently playing around with snows stage two and im using the 375 and 625 nozzles. yes you dont want it to be on all the time but thats wat the switch is for and at the same time usually with more boost comes more fuel and more fuel comes heat so if u sprayed at a low setting (mines starts at 10 and sprays wide open by 35 and my max boost is around where urs is 48)it would be like putting a fire out before it gets bigger. yes it may come on often but your egts dont come up nearly as quickly let alone reach the same degree(ex: going from 1600 to 1400 tops). Also i noticed that when it does come on, the truck picks up quite easily even if your foots in the same place (partial throttle)the truck will keep accelerating(not like a run away just a steady pull). Now if you were towing this would be very good ud gain more power when u need with out worrying about your egts going up. granted you could base it off egts but i honestly dont see the point.. why wait till they are almost too hot to do anything when you can just prevent it all together? Im not sure wat rain-xs mix is but im using their 2-n-1 -25degree stuff

So are you saying that 1250 is too late? I was under the impression that as soon as you start spraying your temps will be arrested to a degree.

The key is to keep the water ahead of the heat. Once you get heat soaked its hard to releave the temp.

I've got the devils own kit. Had it back when I had stock injectors and then it pcked up power but didn't cool any. I'm running the 10 and 14 nozzles. Now with my 150's and he351 I can hit 1690 with it off with it on it's just around 1400! Great kits and a great price

The key is to keep the water ahead of the heat. Once you get heat soaked its hard to releave the temp.

I have heard this. Guess Ill just have to get a kit and mess with it.

How many daily drivers have them setup with a toggle switch and only use them occasionally?

I've got the devils own kit. Had it back when I had stock injectors and then it pcked up power but didn't cool any. I'm running the 10 and 14 nozzles. Now with my 150's and he351 I can hit 1690 with it off with it on it's just around 1400! Great kits and a great price
Well your EGT's seem similar to mine, what do you have it set to come on at and how often are you having to fill the damn thing? What size tank?

Im running mine on a toggle switch w/ the controller my start setting is at 10lbs and full blast is at around 35 (i should probably put it back to 45 for tooling around town). I try not to turn it on untill operating temp. Once i hit that mark tho i do turn it on and depending on how your settings are will determine how much you use. You have to remember if the closer the start and finish setting the more its going to use. Based on my setings, if i hit 20lbs i will be using around 50% of the systems power. This means im going to use a lot more than i would if full blast was at lets say 45. As usual with a new toy (i havent had this kit a week yet and im driving all over the place just to play with it) your going to use more then what you actually use. currently im using about a gallon every two days. Once i calm down who knows i could stretch it a lot further or just leave it off till i actually need it. Plus since you mainly want a cooling effect it wont really matter cause waters free unless of course you have a water bill.

Well not too worried about the cost of water. I just think it is kind of a PITA to have to fill up with distilled all the time. So I would rather use the system only when i need it for cooling.

Well not too worried about the cost of water. I just think it is kind of a PITA to have to fill up with distilled all the time. So I would rather use the system only when i need it for cooling.
yea it could be seen as annoying but at the same time the bigger the tank the less you have to keep refilling it

Make sure to use distilled and not tap water. It will prevent calciam buildup on the nozzle screens.

Well your EGT's seem similar to mine, what do you have it set to come on at and how often are you having to fill the damn thing? What size tank?

welli have thedevils ownstgII
i tapped into the windsheild washer tank. so its what about 1 gallon or 4 liters? with the controller being in the cab i adjust it all the time. my first week with it I had it set at the lowest settings so it would come at at 9-10lbs and be full on by 18 or so. then with somedecent spirited driving around town it would last less than 100 km.

now that i have got over the new factor on the highway i have it set to come on at the lowest setting and max at30lbs. ( to conserve water) if i am not speeding i can keep my boost under the starting point excepts for hills and passing. Then i can get around 300km for a tank. But it will drain the tank in a matter of 15-20 mins (like today) if your on it and up in boost. today was pushing it to keep up with a srt8 on the highway.

i am going to be building a bigger tank for it for sure. i would like to get it so i can atleast go a full tank of fuel between fills. but i will just go with the biggest tank i can build to fit in my front bumper when I build a front bumper.

oh ya and I run either distilled water or blue windsheild washer fluid. Ran a cppl tanks of tap water through it just when i first had it.

i like how i can turn off the controller by turning the points all the way up. That way I can run it for a while before shutting the truck down.

Anybody not using a progressive controller? I want one, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one(plus the stuff I am looking at is pretty spendy.....at least to me). So I was thinking of just running a simple boost switch for now until I can pony up for whatever expensive nonsense controller that gets my eyes all glazed over lol!

Thinking about having it kick on at 30-35 psi.

Anybody not using a progressive controller? I want one, but I'm having a hard time deciding which one(plus the stuff I am looking at is pretty spendy.....at least to me). So I was thinking of just running a simple boost switch for now until I can pony up for whatever expensive nonsense controller that gets my eyes all glazed over lol!

Thinking about having it kick on at 30-35 psi.
Whats spendy to you? 500?

The stuff I ordered was about 4 bills. And a controller and solenoids looks like it would add another 300-400 bucks. I'm gonna try it this way and see how it goes, and save my pennies for something fancy.

tru.. thats crazy that the controller added that much. which controler where u looking at? Was it the one where you its a lcd screen or was it one where you can adjust it under the hood with a small screw driver?. My kit was 500 with the controler u adjust under the hood so im just being curious

tru.. thats crazy that the controller added that much. which controler where u looking at? Was it the one where you its a lcd screen or was it one where you can adjust it under the hood with a small screw driver?. My kit was 500 with the controler u adjust under the hood so im just being curious
Was looking at stuff offered by cooling mist and labonte. I want something adjustable in the cab for sure, but I don't know what I want beyond that. Meaning how fancy I want to get......or can afford to get to put it correctly :hehe:

Then there is the K.I.S.S. theory which at times should not be ignored. So yeah I'm just going to look around for a bit. I know labonte is working on a new controller that sounds promising.

Devils own is cheap $500 cdn Here so I'm sure you can get it cheaper in the us. It has Incab adjustability aswell.

Back