Good brakes no dust?

Cummins_Bred

Cummins R&D Tech
What brakes are you guys using? Obviously I want good stopping power with low dust. Any brands to just flat-out avoid?

I just did the front brakes on my 05 this past weekend. Went back with factory pads and had the rotors turned. Being my stock pads lasted 100k then it's worth the investment for another set of factory pads, plus they have minimal dust. The pads were $84 for all four from the dealer which sucked but it's done... There is a lot to be said about OEM parts.

I just did the front brakes on my 05 this past weekend. Went back with factory pads and had the rotors turned. Being my stock pads lasted 100k then it's worth the investment for another set of factory pads, plus they have minimal dust. The pads were $84 for all four from the dealer which sucked but it's done... There is a lot to be said about OEM parts.

X2 can't stress oem enough on items like brakes.

So you guys don't recommend playing around with aftermarket ceramics or EBC green/yellow stuff or similar? i've only had the truck for a little while, but the dust is getting annoying. Truck is right around 78k miles, and i'm not the nicest person on things like brakes. I'd like to cut the dust and hoping new pads/bleeding will net some more stopping power

I am notoriously hard on brakes. OEM lasted 45k, the first set of Advanced normal brakes lasted to 75k. I now have Advanced Auto Ceramic with 85k on it, no brake dust so far. The OEM and normal Advanced brakes every week my rims would be black.

wait, you meant Advance auto parts brakes, didn't you? :doh: it's too early to be posting intelligently yet :lolly:

pads are one thing but, I've found the calipers aren't up to the job though either. When racing my truck, it was everything I could do to stop it before the second turn out. A couple times I literally was standing on the brakes to get it stopped.

I installed all SS brake lines and added these brakes. Now, the truck will stop on a dime. The last time at the track, I made the first turn out which was the first time that ever happen. They aren't cheap but, how much is your truck and life worth !

026.jpg

Do not use EBC. I ripped them off after about 20,000 miles. stress cracks and the pads did not last. They were the slotted rotors and yellow/green.

EGR is the way to go for OEM replacement rotors and pads. A little dusty, but they work. Ger their braided line kits as well. other wise. SSBC or what ever is bigger.

For what it's worth, the EGR stuff are very impressive slowing down from 130mph, really fast.

Last edited:
How much was that set of SSBC? Do they run special pads or can I go to the parts store and get them?

I can replace a ton of brakes before I get to that cost. I understand the stopping power side of it also, just definitely not something I need right now.

^^ I agree, i'll do the ceramics for now since i only DD but if i get into something that needs more bite i'll probably go with those upgrades

Back