Gotta new toy

I haven't had much time to work on the truck lately so I still have a long list of things to do. The Redding event is coming up too fast for the truck to be completely done, but I'll still have it there.

My main concern with the truck has been a death wobble that happpened a couple of times during 100mph+ runs(on a "closed course":hehe:). I seemed to have tracked it down to play in the steering box and wheel bearings with a little too much play. The tie rods, steering stabilizer, box, control arm bushings, and ball joints all have less than 10k miles on them. I adjusted the worm gear and sector shaft to get the play out of it.

I've checked out, flushed, and adjusted the brakes to make sure that they work well. Front and rear have fairly new calipers, pads, rotors, shoes, drums, and Chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders. Tonight I checked to see how well it spooled while on the brakes. I was shocked to see that I was able to build 40 psi of boost with no tire spin:evil

I decided to check the timing tonight since it sounded a lot higher than the 27* that the previous owner supposedly set it at, come to find out it was actually at 42*:doh:. I ended up dropping it down to 27* and now it has DDP4's and 024DV's.

Awesome. Is that because of the brake maintenance/upgrades?

I haven't had much time to work on the truck lately so I still have a long list of things to do. The Redding event is coming up too fast for the truck to be completely done, but I'll still have it there.

My main concern with the truck has been a death wobble that happpened a couple of times during 100mph+ runs(on a "closed course":hehe:). I seemed to have tracked it down to play in the steering box and wheel bearings with a little too much play. The tie rods, steering stabilizer, box, control arm bushings, and ball joints all have less than 10k miles on them. I adjusted the worm gear and sector shaft to get the play out of it.

I've checked out, flushed, and adjusted the brakes to make sure that they work well. Front and rear have fairly new calipers, pads, rotors, shoes, drums, and Chevy 1 ton wheel cylinders. Tonight I checked to see how well it spooled while on the brakes. I was shocked to see that I was able to build 40 psi of boost with no tire spin:evil

I decided to check the timing tonight since it sounded a lot higher than the 27* that the previous owner supposedly set it at, come to find out it was actually at 42*:doh:. I ended up dropping it down to 27* and now it has DDP4's and 024DV's.

I bet that was a beast to start in the morning! How did you like it at 42??? LOL

Awesome. Is that because of the brake maintenance/upgrades?
I think its a combination of the large Dana 80 Shoes and the upgraded wheel cylinders.

I bet that was a beast to start in the morning! How did you like it at 42??? LOL
It seemed to start easier at 42* than it does now. I was happy how it ran with the higher timing, but dropping it down to 27* seems to have more power throughout the whole rpm range.

Back