Grandpa Green Machine 10 sec build

leftcoast12v

It has been a long time coming but I finally decided to start a thread on my mild build. My goal is to be running 10's by the end of 2016. Current setup is:97 180 motor with 887 pump flowing 500cc, and an aeromotive diesel fuel pump that feeds the 887 @60 psi with 1/2 fuel lines and a duel feed. "PDR" racing cam w/o flycuts, manley springs, locks and retainers that Smokem suggests, Diesel Dynamic injectors (size unknown),snow water meth, stock bottom end and stock cylinder head (ported one cracked bad and was in a pinch to get back together),ats exhaust manifold, ARP 625 head studs, fire rings cut into head and block. Currently running 25* timing and a 80/83/1.10 t4 charger with a race cover making ~44-48lbs boost. The local track just opened last week but they decided to close due to cold weather. Will hopefully try to go back either this week or next to get some time slips. The trans is an older race built trans from DTT including billet input, output, and a lot of other small goodies. For trans cooling I am running the stock air to fluid cooler up front and a derale 15800 under the bed. I recently changed out the single disc DTT 1800 stall convertor to a triple disc goerend 2500 stall to help spool my big single. I decided late last fall that I wanted to leave the big single game and build a set of large compounds (or medium I guess). I purchased a s369sxe with a .91 housing, two JGS 50mm EWGs, a t4 steed with dual EWG (still waiting to be finished) and a hx82 with a 86/140 compressor and E trim turbine with 32cm exhaust housing. I am going to be doing a side by side setup using these two turbo chargers. This truck is a weekend warrior that I sometimes drive to work. My goals with this compound setup is 10 psi of boost by 1850 and to be on top of the manifold charger by 2400 rpms. I do realize that the largest restriction currently is my stock cylinder head and bottom end but I am torn between investing into going wild on a motor or just throwing a ported cylinder head on this motor. I have included pictures of the s369sxe, hx82, picture of the motor in the truck with the 80/83/1.10, and a picture of the truck. Also for all those who are going to ask the 83 turbine rarely surges and will only on a low boost locked shift.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0623.jpg
    IMG_0623.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Will be in on this. Been wondering when you were gonna pop out and do something cool!

Plan on doing any dieting or #racetruck stuff to it, or leave it completely DD capable?

Well the interrior is stripped except for a drivers and passenger seat due to a leak from the back window. Only leaks during heavy rainstorms though. I need to pull out the transfer flow 90 gallon tank but it is wired into the fuel gauge wiring harness. And well I like my fuel gauge. Truck weighs in at 7100 with camper shell on. I plan on doing some light weight cutting but not to radical.

Using the calculator here @7100lbs it's going to take roughly 876hp to run a 10.99 and 1163 to run 10 flat.

She needs a diet, or :nos:

That's a lot of air you are trying to cram through that head, I would port it yourself or at least open up the throats behind the valves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks DieselD, come over and help me strip this fat girl.
Wunderwood I agree. But like I said in the original post I'm debating on whether I should keep throwing money at this motor or just build an entire motor. The latter of the two will make more power but likewise cost exponentially more. I have a spare IH head and block sitting in the shop pulled from a truck that had 48,000 miles that is screaming build me although..

Hamilton heads are cheap enough now and are,proven performers for the performance crowd.

Hamilton heads are cheap enough now and are,proven performers for the performance crowd.

But from what i've seen/ read they're still on back order. I know he spoke of the other day about new stuff coming out but don't believe its out yet. Im patiently waiting for one haha.

Looks like a good start to a fun build! Hope to see it this year! Your not too far from our big diesel even in Medford, or on July 4 and 5th! Drags sled pull and dyno

Crackerman yes that is something I have been considering and dreaming of. However it feels wrong for me to throw a $2,000 head on a stock bottom end. Howling the truck currently has a 2.5" leveling kit in the front with long arm control arms. I am going to remove the leveling kit up front and likewise remove the blocks in the rear. When I lower it I plan on also having a cal trac on hand to install to help put the power to the ground. 01silverbullet I hope I will be able to make it how ever i do not have access to a trailer and this truck has 4.10s making road trips so much fun.

Another part came in. Super excited to have this beautiful piece. Plans have changed a little bit and these may not all go on for another month or two due to the fact I can not get myself to throw this on my current stock cylinder head.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 0
I'd pull as much weight off as you can and go have some fun. Port your spare head yourself and throw it on as well. The bottom ends are tough and will make some good power before upgrades are truly needed. Plus you have spare parts in case something bad does happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome build man! I'm budget building a 12v drag truck right now myself. I already have a s591 and was wanting to pair it with a s369sxe. I am anxious to see how yours performs!

Back