grounding the VP pump?

rage_blue

dieselneck
So I heard rumors that you can tap the VP wire like a comp box does and just run it to a ground. Any one else try this? maybe a cheap way to get some more timming?

So I heard rumors that you can tap the VP wire like a comp box does and just run it to a ground. Any one else try this? maybe a cheap way to get some more timming?

You sir were misinformed!

Grounding that solenoid will kill you truck and make it not run. That solenoid fires several times per second and controls all 6 cylinders.

Playing with it could be compared to running a spark plug engine with continuous spark on all cylinders..... it wouldn't run!

Ah well it was a thought guess i'll stick to the smarty for timming. So the boxes that tap that wire, They must send a signal earlyer on that wire to advance timming?

The wire tap does not advance the timing, the wire tap lengthens the duration of the injection event. What happens is the solenoid fires and fuel goes to the injection line for a few microseconds. When a wire tap box is hooked up, it commands the solenoid to stay powered up for a few extra microseconds after the ecm and vp44 have decided to turn off the solenoid. All timing advance comes from the data link port or from an altered/reprogramed ecm.

Okay that makes sense. So an edge EZ would advance timming, but not add duration?

Back