Gtx42-94

Diesel Freak

Thinking about ditching the twins and going with a single. I am thinking about this because, I may delegate the truck to wheeling duty and having twins on a wheeler is just not going to hold up.

so, my options are a small GTX42, a Silver Bullet 71, or possibly a 66mm s300

what other options are available??? Been out of the Diesel game for a while.

I'd be really interested to see how it works out as well. I'd like to try a gt4294R as a secondary in mine(don't need the x version). Not alot of info on Garrett medium sized chargers out there.

GT4294 compressor should be right at 88 lbs per minute at peak flow. On my Junker 95' running a Journal Bearing unit as a single with the 1.28AR wastegated housing, it was running 110 MPH in the 1/4 at the preset wastegated limit of 36-38 psi. When I disabled the wastegate by pinching the boost signal line, I picked up 2 mph (112 MPH) and 50-52 psi boost. This is with a 100% stock head, stock manifold, etc.

Although the setup did make a fair amount of power, it still was less power, 550 HP average throughout the run, than I thought it would make.

I wonder if a GT4294 is big enough to support 650+ HP in a twin turbo setup.

I'd be really interested to see how it works out as well. I'd like to try a gt4294R as a secondary in mine(don't need the x version). Not alot of info on Garrett medium sized chargers out there.

gt42/gt55 sounds right up your alley Ron.

GT4294 compressor should be right at 88 lbs per minute at peak flow. On my Junker 95' running a Journal Bearing unit as a single with the 1.28AR wastegated housing, it was running 110 MPH in the 1/4 at the preset wastegated limit of 36-38 psi. When I disabled the wastegate by pinching the boost signal line, I picked up 2 mph (112 MPH) and 50-52 psi boost. This is with a 100% stock head, stock manifold, etc.

Although the setup did make a fair amount of power, it still was less power, 550 HP average throughout the run, than I thought it would make.

I wonder if a GT4294 is big enough to support 650+ HP in a twin turbo setup.

GTX wheel is about 10% flow above the non GTX same sized equivalent. In addition the wheels are reported to be a bit lighter which should aid spool. This is all going off of what i've read and discussed with Forced and people familiar with their stuff. Keeping my eye on the ET-R wheels when they become available on s300 chassis; the ET-R being very similar to GTX.

Last edited:
Cliff.
Looks like you're going to get about as much feedback as i did when I asked this question last year. If you try one , let me know how it works out. Once the 6.7 get's in I may take the plunge and swap the 4094 for the 4294. If they were the same diminsionally I would have already done it.I'm just getting lazy i guess.
Congratulations on Baja! Sounds like you had a good time.

Thinking about ditching the twins and going with a single. I am thinking about this because, I may delegate the truck to wheeling duty and having twins on a wheeler is just not going to hold up.

so, my options are a small GTX42, a Silver Bullet 71, or possibly a 66mm s300

what other options are available??? Been out of the Diesel game for a while.

The GTX4294R is an animal...plain and simple. We have tested it against other chargers claiming ti rival it, but nothing has matched the power/pressure produced.

One difference is the GTX is sold without turbine housing so you get to pick the size you want. The GT comes with the TH and it's the smallest (1.01 A/R).

One difference is the GTX is sold without turbine housing so you get to pick the size you want. The GT comes with the TH and it's the smallest (1.01 A/R).

On the Garrett site, there is four different model numbers for GT4094R, each with a different housing. 1.01, 1.15, 1.28, 1.44.

I have a 4294 I plan on running with an hx40 I am about to get. Is the x wheel available by itself? Or is a housing upgrade necessary too?

On the Garrett site, there is four different model numbers for GT4094R, each with a different housing. 1.01, 1.15, 1.28, 1.44.
Right. Brain fart.

I was told the turbine housings are separate on the gtx so distributors can have more choices on the shelf without investing in complete turbos.

I have a 4294 I plan on running with an hx40 I am about to get. Is the x wheel available by itself? Or is a housing upgrade necessary too?

You need the CHRA/compressor cover.

Right. Brain fart.

I was told the turbine housings are separate on the gtx so distributors can have more choices on the shelf without investing in complete turbos.

Distributors can buy the GT series like that. I know one that always buys in pieces.

Distributors can buy the GT series like that. I know one that always buys in pieces.
They can and sometimes do buy all the GT pieces but when someone calls for a complete turbo right now they want the complete turbo on the shelf. So mostly you find only complete turbos available. A GT4294R (or whatever) purchased in pieces would mean buying the CHRA, turbine housing, and comp cover, so they or the buyer would have to assemble the three pieces. I'd be surprised if many stock all three major components for each GT turbo. And I am not aware of Garrett selling a GT CHRA/comp cover as a single part number like they are doing with the GTX series.

so pretty much the whole turbo then.....

Basically. But if you have the GT4294 you can re-use your turbine housing if you choose. Makes things a little easier.

They can and sometimes do buy all the GT pieces but when someone calls for a complete turbo right now they want the complete turbo on the shelf. So mostly you find only complete turbos available. A GT4294R (or whatever) purchased in pieces would mean buying the CHRA, turbine housing, and comp cover, so they or the buyer would have to assemble the three pieces. I'd be surprised if many stock all three major components for each GT turbo. And I am not aware of Garrett selling a GT CHRA/comp cover as a single part number like they are doing with the GTX series.

Correct. Because many people buying the GTX are upgrading their GT series, they are sold as a CHRA/comp cover. Many dealers already have a variety of turbine housings stocked, which makes things easier. It actually makes the most sense to have the CHRA/comp cover stocked for a number of turbos, then also stocking a handful of each turbine housing.

Basically. But if you have the GT4294 you can re-use your turbine housing if you choose. Makes things a little easier.

Correct. Because many people buying the GTX are upgrading their GT series, they are sold as a CHRA/comp cover. Many dealers already have a variety of turbine housings stocked, which makes things easier. It actually makes the most sense to have the CHRA/comp cover stocked for a number of turbos, then also stocking a handful of each turbine housing.

True, we stock the T4 and T6 housings for the GTX42's and GTX45's separate.

Back