Guys that race or high HP street trucks

Sanger

OEM Fully built Transmission.

How long does your transmission and torque converter last before needing rebuilt? Miles or years?

You mean weeks or days more info about the truck would help autos are all different depends who built it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me....high HP street truck is between 750-900. Not too many street driven over 1k mark.

It also depends on who builds it. I have a NADP tranny and havent had a great amount of luck. It has all the trick stuff in it too, billet everything, even the clutch baskets. Still to this day if I boost over 17 on the launch I will fry the forward clutches. I hope to have that fixed before I race again... and my truck is well north of 1000

Should talk to Steve at Commercial Powertrain in Balzac.

I was just on the phone with him yesterday about a trans for my 07 48re.

We pull Steve's transmission at the end of the season, and this going on the third season with him we are putting the same clutches back in. This thing is a monster. Since we went to the Aermet input shaft, (knock on wood) we have not broke a hard part in the transmission.

Torque converters were our bane, with the fat shaft and a 3 disc converter we couldn't even get a pass out of it. Now with the aermet and the DPC 4 disc, we will get a couple events out of a converter. Playing with nitrous vs lock up at the end of the season seemed to stretch that out some too.

So Commercial Powertrain Transmission = Once a season pull it and go through it, for our peace of mind.

DPC 4 disc converter = Probably 3 a season. We have tried several other brands some of which made one dyno run and broke on the second, so far we haven't found a converter that will take more abuse, or a guy better to work with then Phil.

I am planning on having Steve rebuild this one. Just have to get engine done first,, then concentrate on tranny... then on suspension... lol

As for convertors, I have been running a suncoast TC since 2007, same one, never been touched.. I am afraid to have it opened up,, lol

NADP transmissions have come along way the last couple years. I know of 2 trucks who ran low 10's all season last year with no trans problems on them. A refresh at the end of the season is a must though, doesnt matter who built it.

that is so true Stephen (did you recognize in the Black Ford beside you in Spruce the other day?)

define high horsepower...
600? 1000? 1200?

900+HP

Im running a fully built trans with Sun Coast OMEGA-3 and triple disk converter. 7300lbs 4x4quadcab best time 10.63.

Just curious on how long everyone elses trans is holding up?

I am using Monster Pump Mikes ( M J Tool and Fab) converter and trans. We rebuilt it last spring before the season started and ran all season with out a problem. That was 6 races and several days of test and tunes probably close to 40 passes on it. I had probably 15 to 20 passes on the converter from the year before and when we pulled it down last spring everything looked great we just put it back together and put it in. That is launching at 30 psi. and making consistent low 10 sec and some 9 sec passes . My truck weighs 6500 .

Look here:

This is why........... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I run a full billet Goerend tranny. Got just over 50 passes and about 5,000 street miles on it. Not a lick of trouble. Granted I'm only around 750 hp but I always launch at 20+ PSI and it shifts just as smooth as it ever has.

ditto. was around 750 my self. dave's going to swap my converter for me for this summer for a lower stall. no other changes needed to be well north of 1000 this summer!

I would imagine most of the high HP racers are freshing up their trans pre race season every year regardless

Back