H8 35w to H11 55w fog light conversion.

jimbo486

I just did this to my Passat using SilverStar Ultra's. A simple task that takes less than 15 minutes overall. Including time spent modifying the H11 base. I used a small grinding stone in a Dremel. I measured the tab on the H8 base with calipers and locked them. I ground a little material at a time on the H11 base until it fit freely between the caliper jaws.

~0.3125"
de7ubume.jpg

Before. H8 - H11
ruqusape.jpg

After. H8 - H11
y6ujebu9.jpg

The owners manual describes how to replace them. I made a couple attempts to pull the lower grill insert out starting in different spots. What I found easiest was to start at the upper inside corner.

Hook your finger through and behind the grill here...
apehure7.jpg

Then pull the lower inside corner out and work your way to the outside pulling gently. Be careful when you get to the 2 outer clips, try not to pry too much. You want to be sure you're pulling the insert straight and forward out of the bumper.

Once the insert is out, remove the reflector (?) just the inside of the light assembly. There are 3 plastic clips on the back of these, just jiggle/pull it forward until it pops free.

vy5ygujy.jpg

You'll then see 2 screws holding the light assembly in place. A T25 torx or flathead screwdriver will work here.

emava6ub.jpg

Once removed, pull the inside of the assembly forward slightly and slide it towards the center. There are 2 guide tabs on the outside of the assembly. Pull the assembly out of the bumper and remove the electrical connector from the bulb. An 1/8th of a turn counterclockwise will unlock the bulb. Just the opposite to lock it back in place.

Do as described above for the other side and you're done!

It's hard to see a difference in output during the day but here's a comparison shot. Factory H8 35w in the passenger side and SilverStar Ultra H11 55w in the driver side. Now they'll match the low and high beams.

qevynuse.jpg

y7ebypun.jpg

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.

I've given thought to HIDs. I guess I've never really cared to bother with everything that goes with them (ballasts and whatnot) even though there's not a lot to them.

I certainly like the output of them but I've also heard that they're better suited for projector housings rather than a standard reflector. I know people still run them that way though.

Hunted and pecked from a Galaxy S4A.

Back