Harbor Freight sandblasting cabinet

JD3020

I know some guys may hate on HF tools, but i've had good luck and since i'm a DIY'er i have no desire to pay big $$$ on things i won't use often.

With saying that, anybody used their blasting cabinets? Theres been a lot of times recently when i wish i had one to clean up some parts instead of having to do it all by hand. Not looking to blast huge parts, biggest thing would be trailer rims(16") or hubs/spindles. Air supply isn't an issue.

http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Search the internet for reviews on them. You will see the mods guys perform to make it a more effective cabinet. Two major items that need addressing is to seal the inside before adding any media. Second is some sort of dust management system.

I read some of the reviews and other than being tedious and time-consuming to assemble, most were pleased with it.
I'm going to go look at one to-morrow and make my own decision. :D

Mark.

Mine works ok with a bit of mods done to it.

First as mentioned is to seal it better. It comes with seals but I ended up applying silicone to get it to stop leaking.

I also took out the light supplied as it was not bright enough. I drilled holes and added 3 regular light fixtures with rough service light bulbs. Probably wouldn't do that again but definitely needs something brighter.

I had a Homak and it leaked liked crazy. Not matter the brand or price of cabinet, you will need some sort of dust collection system. A shop will work if you really dont use it that often. I use mine almost daily, so i splurged after i realized this and returned the Homak. Bought a skat blaster with their dust collection vac. It is totally awesome. One of those things you wonder what you did without.

Main thing on the light is to put it in a dark corner or build a shield over the top to knock out glare.

I have a similar one, that also has a top door...and we use the hell out of it at the store. Only complaint we have is there is a ton of glare off the glass from the lights overhead. If I had a place to put it out from under the lights it would help a bunch.

Chris

Edit...I have this model from Black bull....only I only paid a grand for mine. Apparently the price has went way up.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Been watching some youtube reviews and read some threads about making a water trap for a shop-vac, pretty sure i'm gonna go this route unless i can find a nice used cabinet. Looking like i'll be swapping engines in both of my 7.3's and maybe my dad's LB7, so this will beat trying to clean **** up with a wire wheel and steel wool. LOL

I got some junky cabinet for cheap, similar to the HF one. Just put an old BHAF on the outlet where the dust collection goes.
The siphon feed is a pain in the butt even when I use aluminum oxide media and an air drier. I was going to try patching in a pressure blaster I got instead but it clogs up just as bad.

Back