Hard Start

poorboycummins

It's the truck in my sig. Ive read ever hard to start thread and cant find one just like mine. Hard to start the first start of the day, cranked extra long today at 30F. When it started it hazed grey for a little but then went away. Runs good no rough idle, rail pressure at idle is 8000 and runs around 20000 run down the road. I've a lot about it and everything leans toward injectors. I've done an injector return test and got 50ml of fuel. Which is way under max at 180ml in 60 seconds. My balance rates looked good with scan tool and efi live. Could it still be injectors? The air dog was put on about 2000 miles ago. I plugged it in tonight to see if that helps. Where to go from here? Thanks in advance.

Rail pressure is a little high. Cruising down the road you should be 11k-14k depending on throttle percentage and Idle is usually 5k-7k. Grid heater could be failing and harder to start at cold temps.

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on it?

My autometer rail pressure gauge has always read 8k at idle even sent it back to get checked. Maybe I looked at the gauge wrong on the 20k it probably is more like 15-16k.No I do not have a fuel pressure gauge gonna add one. Is there away to check the grid heater out? And how do I check the cam/crank sensor inputs? Thanks for the replies keep them coming I'm at a lose.

I'll look at the gauge in the morning to see what it's doing. Have had time to hook the computer to it to watch rail pressure will cranking. Try to do that on my next day off.

Plugging the truck up didn't do anything for it. Rail pressure on the gauge while cranking was around 1k. And the rail pressure going down the road this morning was 17k-19k with the cruise on. That was the levelest road I had. Thanks again.

When I went to leave work the truck fired right up after setting for 12.5 hrs. The only difference between this morning was it was 47f instead of 19f. If that gives anymore info that might help thanks.

I hooked my computer to it yesterday with efi live. The actual pressure was 1065 then went to 5500. The commanded was 5750 and the truck fired the first time. Can colder weather have and effect on leaking injectors?

Pull your rail pressure sensor plug out and check the terminals. Mine was doing the same thing and I figured Fuel Control Actuator. I r/r ed the FCA and it didn't fix anything. While the truck was idling one day I was messing around with the wires going to the rail pressure sensor and when I wiggled them, the idle changed for just a split second. I shut the truck off and then restarted it. It started fine. Pulled the plug on the sensor and found corroded terminals. Cleaned them and threw on some dielectric grease. Haven't had the problem come back.

Thanks I haven't thought about that. I hope to have time this weekend to try and figure something out.

Hope it works out for you. I accidentally found my problem. I hate intermittent electrical problems.

Was able to get my batteries checked today one is bad and one is about half. What batteries would you all recommend? I looked for Optimas but was told they didn't have them for the 3rd gens. Thanks again

Did you get a rail pressure reading while cranking? Check oil for fuel dilution? Cascade valve on cp3 leaking? Fuel supply pressure would be the first thing I'd check.

For new batteries in my truck and has seemed to fix my hard start problem. Suppose to turn off cold this week will see what happens.

Back