hard start

GOLDDUSTERS5703

my dads 98 developed a hard start more noticeably when its cold. seems to start easier if u let the heater cycle and give it some fuel while cranking. tried searching... nothing really conclusive. what ive done... fuel canister had a leak- fixed, ran mechanical guage fuel pressure guage- 12 at idle. seems once the truck starts the first time it starts normal, no power loss. acts like im gettting a leak back somewhere. cked for leaks, ip and lp aprox. 50k miles old. any ideas truck is completely stock?
thanks,
jeremy

so have u ever replaced the injection pump or not? and u said stock liftpump behind it? if not put an airdog and that will probley help.

this is the 3rd ip and lp, the previous had gone out at almost exactly 80k mile intervals. been tryin to convince him he needs an airdog regaurdless of the problem... he has a hard time believing in aftermarket stuff... old dog no new tricks ya know...

Mine has been on there for 150k, from a cold start I would take off and it would sputter real bad, dump out tons of white smoke and have 0 throttle. It would eventually clear up but sometimes going down the road I'd loose the throttle and get the dead pedal. I belive I was throwing the 1693 code for injection punt timing failure.

Is there anywhere you can try parking it facing down hill? It is not uncommon for the return valve to stick open and allow the fuel to drain back into the tank. If you can keep the tank and or lines higher than the drain valve you shouldn't have this issue if this is the problem.

Where are you getting your pumps when you replace them?
Sean

will try that! rebulder was a local guy on all vps... no problems from his vp stuff but i will not be using him again...

tell the old fart to buy an airdog and he want have to worry about it again.

well still having the same issue... tried the parking down hill thing and got an air dog on the truck and bypassed the factory filter... any ideas?

It seems that there are a few of us all having the same problem. I replaced my connector tubes and the O-rings. The tips were worn pretty good. It didnt help my starting problem but turbo spool is way better. I also went from .093 tubes to the stock size. Anyways I just tightened the T fitting on the back of the block about half a turn. I will know soon if it worked. Im sceptical though.

Any ideas?... Little update truck hard starts about 75 percent of the time doesn't matter cold or hot... ??????

how many miles again and ever messed with the injectors? or maybe gettin a little air in line. check your return lines for cracks and stuff. sounds like just air in the line sumwhere.

Back