harmonic balancer came loose

72chevy

Anyone have this happen? It did not fall off it just came loose, I started to notice a clunk clunk when I shut the truck off & got to looking & found the bolts had come loose. I hope it didnt do damage to the end of my crank. I am curious what caused it, I put in a 4k gsk friday & raced on saturday. Maybe I need the fluiddamper with the higher rpm?

3 of my 4 bolts came loose and were hitting the fan, I heard the "ting....ting" noise on the way home from a late night pull about midnight and found only the 3 and is was still spinning true. Now have loc-tite on them. Motor has about 25k after build.

The balancer bolts are torque to yield which means that they are not reusable. Get new bolts and run them with a torque wrench.

i had the bolts on the stocker back out a little and egg shaped the holes and caused a knocking sound.....took awhile to figure out where the noise was coming from

i reached up and grabbed the Balancer and it would move 3/4 of an inch back and forth.... :bang

I wrapped some SS wire around my bolts, then tightened them down.
My thoughts were the SS wire would distort into the holes and keep it from moving. So far so good!

Balancer bolts are both TTY and spec'd with a degree angle for torque - we don't set them with a torque wrench because they'll take anywhere from 90-150ft-lbs to reach 60* past 30ft-lbs.

My cummins manual said 92 ft/lbs so that is what I did. I cant imagine that short of a bolt being torque to yield, where is it going to yield? the whole bolt is threaded. It could be a torque plus turn, there is a difference. Btw flidamper & drill pin kit is on the way.

I used a 1/2" impact. Not loose yet.....crank dont like me though....

The damper bolts are not TTY. They go to 92 ft. lbs. Using a little bit of blue loc-tite won't hurt.

I was gonna suggest the same, put some locktight on them. I think they should sell the harmonic balancers with new bolts, I made the same error and tried to re-use the old bolts and they kept coming loose....

Back