Harmonic balancer failure

J-Pipes

Had to go rescue my neighbor this evening, his balancer broke. When he called, I was thinking the the rubber ring had failed and the balancer came apart. When I got there, the center "hub" actually broke out of it. Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this type of failure before? I don't know the full specs of the truck, basically that it's a p-pump 24v, 62mm turbo. He was on his way back from helping a friend move, so he had an empty gooseneck on it, driving on the freeway. Only other relevant detail I can think of, is that he is definitely not afraid to lean on the truck.
d6c3b84a48a065d33fce7cfdbe3c3952.jpg
b45501822bdcbb39ca5b1fedc11b72f2.jpg
ccccd42e75175c9ebbc89f44cad95dba.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've had a couple of VP trucks that we caught before they broke. They were cracked through and around the bolt holes but not cracked all the way around yet. These were both pretty hot VP trucks with redlines. I just figured it was the extra rpms and wear in the old balancers that caused the centers to crack. I've seen some outers come off and they either exit without creating much damage, or take lots of stuff on the way out. Haha

Interesting, he's definitely turned more rpms with the p-pump. What's the recommended replacement? In another thread, can't remember which, there was talk of big builders going away from the aftermarket ones because the bolts keep coming loose, and using stock 6.7 balancers. If that's the route to go, does it require any other changes?

errrrr!!! Never seen that before ever. Was this a takeout engine?

errrrr!!! Never seen that before ever. Was this a takeout engine?
Believe it's factory engine, around 180k miles I think, don't know how long it's been p-pumped. Now I'm thinking I might want to check my truck, I'm at 193k!

Never had a problem with my Fluidampner coming loose at 5000+ rpm

x2, and it takes a lot of rpm drone away in my truck.

My last car had knock sensors and it looked like I was getting pre-detonation until I swapped to a fluidampr. I was able to pull ~8-10 more degrees of timing at higher rpms and that was the only change.

The factory ones were different sizes based on engine hp. If he goes with a OEM replacement, he should get the biggest one for a modded engine. Pesrsonally, I run a Fluidampr like the others. Works good, well worth the bucks.

Ok, I know for now he just got oem to get it back on the road.

Back