Has anyone had issues with oil puking from gear case?

rockytopcummins

My truck is getting torn down to do a swap next week. It's a 2001. I've talked to a couple different people and have gotten some conflicting opinions about whether or not to use a 12V tappet cover. Some say it's necessary and the front case will puke oil out the breather tube, some say it won't. I just wanted to get an opinion from some of you that actually DD p-pumped trucks. Also, if you have swapped to a 12V cover, how did you go about blocking off the front cover or did you change it all together?:Cheer:

Used a piece of heater hose and stuck a bolt in the top to block off the front breather. Put two auto parts store breathers in the valve cover. Worked great on two trucks.

Use a 12v tappet cover or a breather in the valve cover. I actually like to have at least 2 breathers on the engine. The pump returns oil right by the hole in the front cover, so you typically get more oil out of the breather.

You can get a plug that will screw right into the cover to block it off.

Ok, do you have any idea where I can get this plug? Is it a part that has to come from Cummins or Geno's maybe?

I have my front cover plugged. I got my plug from puredieselpower but it is a Cummins part so your local dealer should be able to get it. I used a 12 valve tappet cover and a breather in my valve cover. Like stated above, the oil return for the pump is right where the front cover breather is so you will more than likely get a few drips if you leave it there.

Industrial 12v engines also have the plug your looking for when they have the single valve cover with the oil fill plug.

I had one last week and it went with a p-pump swap kit. I can potentially locate another if ya want and I also have a 12v tappet cover too.

Redneck, let me know what you've got. I'm comin down to the wire here as my truck is getting torn down on Monday for Tuesday for this swap. I think this plug and a tappet cover are my last two parts to get.

I'd go with the breather valve cover, snedge has them at good prices, here is what they look like.

Jim

25708_1405476827186_4181714_n.jpg

I have all the factory part number for them. Even through case ih need be.

I know of a few guys that run 2 on their engines. I will have 2 on mine.

i put a 03 commonrail rocker box and valvecover on mine. took the wiring out and drove freeze plugs in the holes. taped the lift pump block off for the oil return from the commonrail breather and all works like a charm.

i put a 03 commonrail rocker box and valvecover on mine. took the wiring out and drove freeze plugs in the holes. taped the lift pump block off for the oil return from the commonrail breather and all works like a charm.

would like to see some pics if got some

looks just like a p pumped commonrail or thats at least what everyone thinks when you pop the hood

i dd my 01 p pump and i run the 12v side cover and a small filter in the 24v vavle cover where the oil fill cap was. as for the front cover i just put the 12v oil fill there and that where i fill the oil now

Back