Has anyone swapped a mechanical engine to a 08-10 superduty?

parkland

Just wondering if anyone has heard of anyone successfully installing a 5.9 mechanical cummins or other mechanical engine in a 2008 - 2010 ford super duty.

A kick in the right direction would be awesome.

You know bohab. Its interesting. You have a good knowledge of Mercedes engines, Holsets turbos, want people to keep stock power ratings, act like a know it all, and joined a week or 2 after tormentor got banned.

If I have you wrong, sorry. But you started out as tormentor the same way after 300D or whatever it was got banned.

Carry on OP. I'm sure its been done.

Might finish it this year... 2010 F450 with a 12v / 5R110

Attachments

• 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
Might finish it this year... 2010 F450 with a 12v / 5R110

What are you doing to fool the ford PCM?
Or how are you going to have everything work afterwards?

I realise you can buy temp sensor adapters and such, but what about when the PCM doesn't see the glow plugs, injectors, etc...?

I'm all for mechanical power. I've got a mechanical race truck and a 6.4 tow truck. I don't understand why you would bastardize a truck like that and pull the 6.4 out. Unless it started life as a gas engine and you got it for next to nothing I see no point. But it's your truck and your money and it can be done. Pretty much anything can be tuned out.

I'm all for mechanical power. I've got a mechanical race truck and a 6.4 tow truck. I don't understand why you would bastardize a truck like that and pull the 6.4 out. Unless it started life as a gas engine and you got it for next to nothing I see no point. But it's your truck and your money and it can be done. Pretty much anything can be tuned out.

Although the 6.4 is no slouch on power, some people just want something that offers a greater degree of reliability.

Although the 6.4 is no slouch on power, some people just want something that offers a greater degree of reliability.

I understand that however I think I'd start with a cheaper truck like a gas powered f250. There is about 10k difference in prices between gas and diesel around here.

I understand that however I think I'd start with a cheaper truck like a gas powered f250. There is about 10k difference in prices between gas and diesel around here.

Definitely, I can agree with that; but if this is the same guy I am thinking of, he already owns a 6.4 PowerStroke. So in his case, it would be cheaper to use the truck he already has (and most likely has paid off) and then sell the engine/tranny combo and recoup some losses.

Finding blown up 6.4 trucks is about as easy as finding pennies in a parking lot. There is a 08 f350 locally that tossed a rod due to oil dilution. They only want 4500 for it, so maybe it's just cheaper to throw a mechanical engine in there an have a nice reliable newer truck for less than 10k.

IMO ford trucks were bastardized from the factory. Not much you can do to make it WORSE. LOL

Finding blown up 6.4 trucks is about as easy as finding pennies in a parking lot. There is a 08 f350 locally that tossed a rod due to oil dilution. They only want 4500 for it, so maybe it's just cheaper to throw a mechanical engine in there an have a nice reliable newer truck for less than 10k.

IMO ford trucks were bastardized from the factory. Not much you can do to make it WORSE. LOL

$4500 for the whole truck? Dang

Ford bastardized from the factory? Lol wow had to read that twice to make sure you weren't talking about GM's. Doesn't matter though if we all had the same taste their would only be one kind of truck out there.

And $4500 for a complete truck? Wow it must be a real gem...

Yes i was the one talking about butchering a 466 in one.
I've been looking for a long time now, and have yet to find a 2008-2010 6.4 for sale for cheap with a blown engine.
I've found more 6.4 engines for sale than trucks that need them.

Don't get me wrong, I've found 6.4 trucks for sale with engine problems, but it's usually "Bottom end knocking, so taking 2000$ off price" type deals, not anything viable to me. Usually from what I've seen, a 6.4 with engine problems is still going for more than an identical working gas truck.
For me to jump on a deal, I'm trying to wait for the right deal.

It would seem that it would simply be better to buy a gas truck, blown engine or not, and do the diesel fuel system from scratch.
Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.
I also don't want to buy something full of rust either, maybe I'm too picky.

I've been looking for blown 6.0 trucks too, but they still go for decent money, and the rad and intercooler isn't as big as the 6.4 trucks. Plus most of them are getting higher miles already with lots of rust and scratches and dents.
I've been trying to find a truck 2006 to 2010 that is more or less a pavement princess in good condition, but has just been unlucky enough to grenade whatever powerplant was in it.

The reason I'm curious about if anyone has successfully got a mechanical engine to work in these newer trucks, is that I can't find much answers. A guy could make a complete new guage cluster, but then will anything else electrical even work? What about power windows and stuff that use CAN bus? What about the airbags? They rely on the PCM too dont they?

maybe it's just cheaper to throw a mechanical engine in there an have a nice reliable newer truck for less than 10k.

Dunno about 10k$...

Even on the extreme cheap... say you get a dt360 for 1000$, and don't require too much to make it fit... theres still either a custom transmission controller, or use a MD trans, but then custom length driveshafts and new transfer case.
Plus all the nickel and dime stuff to make it work.

I was planning to swap engine, trans, tcase, shafts, and axles. I can find all the above parts for far less than 10k$, but I'd expect to spend far far more by the time it's done.

There are so many places for the money to trickle into its not even funny. A truck with bigger engine and axles will undoubdedly need a nice soft suspension unless you want to rattle your new creation to death- there goes a pile of cash right there on a bunch of custom stuff.
Just cutting the axles narrower to fit the truck (90% sure this will need to happen), will burn thousands per axle, I imagine. Then a re-gear for each axle... it just keeps going.

The actual mounting of the 466 and manual trans and firewall work seems like the simplest smallest problem, relatively. It's everything that comes after that will start draining the wallet. IMHO.

I will admit this is a way larger undertaking than I ever thought; mostly because of trying to plan this as an on road vehicle. I am not aware of any ford superduty that has ever been built with a 466dt for on road use, never mind with different axles etc.

It's very possible that dreams like this are best kept in the head, along with threesomes involving the wife. :doh:

Ok the dt360 was not what I meant by a mechanical engine. 5.9 12 valve is what I meant, I should have been more clear.

Ok the dt360 was not what I meant by a mechanical engine. 5.9 12 valve is what I meant, I should have been more clear.

Yes, if a person wanted to put in a cummins 5.9, or even a dt360 5.9 for that matter, I suspect it could be done for around 10k$, but even a simpler project like that is gonna have a pile of nickle and dime stuff adding up.
Less so if it were a 1990's truck for sure.

Back