Hauling your truck (GVRW CDL requirements)

schnutsy

Just wanted to make a quick post about my experience today chatting with two local DOT officers at my works annual safety meeting we have. Every year they bring in DOT officers to explain to us rights and wrongs, what to look for in pre trips etc. I myself have not gotten my cdl as I am a laborer for my company (road construction) and not a oil tank yanker. My truck is a '12 RAM 3500 and I just use a '05 better built 28' gooseneck. Dual axle, single wheel. I decided to ask them about hauling my pulling truck and what makes it required to have a cdl. Hopefully this is helpful to some, some may already know, or some don't know what side to believe when it comes to cdl requirements. This is for state of NY. Unbeknownst to me, they go off your GVRW ratings of your truck and trailer combined, not what you have them registered for. I'll say it again NOT WHAT YOU REGISTER IT FOR. I myself thought I was in the clear registering my truck for 10k and my trailer at 14k (which is my trailers gvrw anyways) putting me under the 26,000 pound class a (truck and trailer combined) requirements. After they made it a point to check my trucks GVRW to make sure im okay, I am finding out that I am not. My truck has a GVRW of 12,300 pounds. Combining my truck and trailer, putting me over 26,000. I'm hoping this helps clear things up for people who may not know what ratings DOT officers will be going off. Also, they told me about a personal use endorsement. Didn't get into much detail because they then told me a could take my class A road test with my 1 ton truck and gooseneck trailer since I am above 26,000. Granted, my CDL would be restricted because I don't have airbrakes, the one officer mentioned airbrake endorsement is only a test. I'm not positive if this is the spot to post this on the forums, I hope this helps some fellow members and clears up any confusion they might have about hauling with your truck and trailer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Your truck/trailer/load no CDL required

I got about $4000 worth of fines and fees that says otherwise. That was with my 2005 Dodge 3500 and a 14K gooseneck.

I was pulled over, PUCO said I was in a commercial truck, so it had to follow ALL commercial truck guidelines..... fire extinguisher, road flares, yearly inspection on truck and on trailer, name on truck, medical card, all working lights/brakes/breakaway brakes, all tires must be good. I had told him I never haul out of state, or far from home, so that avoided the DOT number.

This was hauling personal material for our farm.

I got about $4000 worth of fines and fees that says otherwise. That was with my 2005 Dodge 3500 and a 14K gooseneck.

I was pulled over, PUCO said I was in a commercial truck, so it had to follow ALL commercial truck guidelines..... fire extinguisher, road flares, yearly inspection on truck and on trailer, name on truck, medical card, all working lights/brakes/breakaway brakes, all tires must be good. I had told him I never haul out of state, or far from home, so that avoided the DOT number.

That's unfortunate man. They did tell me "hauling for the farm" doesn't make you exempt from cdl requirements. Because a farm is considered a business. Rules are just getting more and more strict it seems.

Interesting if you ask 2 other officers, you probably get 2 different answers.

I thought the same thing until they set the book in front of me with all rules and regulations. Let me read the page about weight ratings etc. They're spot on with the book.

I'm working on getting all my trailers and trucks legal per maryland dot , right now all my trailers are tagged and registered in Maine I have been told by some people that Maine tag doesn't carry any weight on the trailer so you have to make sure your cgvw is high enough for truck and trailer loaded . anyone have any experience with this issue, my truck is tagged at 14k and the Maine registration papers on my pj trailer show a registered weight at 14k

I thought the same thing until they set the book in front of me with all rules and regulations. Let me read the page about weight ratings etc. They're spot on with the book.

I thought it had to be labeled as commercial ect. I have my cdl but no inspections ect.

I thought it had to be labeled as commercial ect. I have my cdl but no inspections ect.
Weight ratings. Up here also any trailer has to have inspection. Not sure about any other state

That's unfortunate man. They did tell me "hauling for the farm" doesn't make you exempt from cdl requirements. Because a farm is considered a business. Rules are just getting more and more strict it seems.

In Ohio, we are still allowed out 6 or 7% for weight..... but must be from farm to processor. If you haul processor to processor, then 80,000#. But..... that's only on country roads, county roads, or state routes. Once you hit an interstate... back to 80k. And during Jan/Feb or Feb/Mar you have to be 80k for all roads.

But farm semis cannot be inspected..... I had 2 different State Patrols tell me that.

In Ohio, we are still allowed out 6 or 7% for weight..... but must be from farm to processor. If you haul processor to processor, then 80,000#. But..... that's only on country roads, county roads, or state routes. Once you hit an interstate... back to 80k. And during Jan/Feb or Feb/Mar you have to be 80k for all roads.

But farm semis cannot be inspected..... I had 2 different State Patrols tell me that.
Ahh gotcha, different state. Different laws and regulations.

Why I hate dealing with cops... Seams more then 1/2 don't know the rules they are to enforce.. .. Commercial driver license requirements are solely directed by who owns the freight on the truck.. As per the rule book...

PUC numbers and IRP plates still apply regardless due to weight...

26,000 is the magic number, if you are over it is CDL territory. Also remember most trucks GCWR will not reach 26k unless it is a newer dually. They can get you on that one as well if they are inclined.

You are wrong on 2 officers 2 answers.
You ask two different officers and you are going to get 3 different answers.
As there is no hard fast rule, just how they feel that day.

I just get all of my stuff up to snuff, inspections and make sure everything works,
got a CDL and medical card for work anyways, haven't been stopped yet.
I just going to keep acting like I am non-commercial, hauling my pulling stuff,
when they stop me there won't be much they can ticket me on.

I have been stopped to check for colored fuel, the officer dipped my tank with 4 foot long zipties, and they came out clear, his face just fell, and he said have a nice day!
ps I had just passed an open scale[the reason he stopped me] figured I had red fuel.

Why I hate dealing with cops... Seams more then 1/2 don't know the rules they are to enforce.. .. Commercial driver license requirements are solely directed by who owns the freight on the truck.. As per the rule book...

I have the big rule book all the DOT guys go by and mine doesn't say that. It says over 26k gvw and you need a cdl. Only exemptions are farm/nursery type operations.
There used to be a site you could go to that the dot had set up where it would tell you exactly what you need based on your weight, freight, where you travel etc. I only haul private property and am not for hire but still had to have cdls, dot number, ifta, and run log books if outside a 150 mile radius from home.

Newer trucks, yes you're going to have a higher GVRW. It's right on your drivers door. Mines 12,300, older trucks would more than likely have less, so I would be okay with an older dually or switch to single wheel to get my GVRW truck and trailer combined weight below 26k. Anyone who has a tandem duals trailer, you're trailer GVRW sometimes will already be over 26k on some new models. Reason I went non duals on the trailer, didn't help me anyways since my truck has a 12,300 GVRW. Just easier to grab my CDL at this point. It will open up more opportunity and I won't have issues hauling my gooseneck.

Last edited:

This is absolute truth. Glad I have a guy across the fence from me that works in the chicken coops on the interstate. He keeps me abreast of the OK laws.

In this state, yes, they do go by the addition of the GVWR of the pickup and trailer. Any dual tandem or triple single wheel trailer will be #26,001 or greater. If they see you pulling either of those two even with a 3/4 ton it gives them reason to stop you for an inspection. You can't get a ticket unless you actually weigh over 26,000 unless you are registered for less. If you are loaded to the hilt, you will get an under-registration ticket.

That's why we "farm tag" even our trailers in this state. DOT number is required to be on the truck, three triangles, fire-extinguisher, and that's it. No health card, CDL, etc. Proper strapping and load securing is required but we can be grossly over-weight and they can't ticket us while hauling farm commodities. Our max width with farm tags is 12ft and height is unregulated. Not sure about length.

If I simply unload a bunch of hay and load my sisters car on the trailer, it becomes non-farm related and nothing I've mentioned above is required.

Great laws....written by really intelligent people....they should win a medal.

The load in my sig grossed #34,200 and I drove right past the scales with farm tags. The DOT plates were removed for the picture.

I have the big rule book all the DOT guys go by and mine doesn't say that. It says over 26k gvw and you need a cdl. Only exemptions are farm/nursery type operations.
There used to be a site you could go to that the dot had set up where it would tell you exactly what you need based on your weight, freight, where you travel etc. I only haul private property and am not for hire but still had to have cdls, dot number, ifta, and run log books if outside a 150 mile radius from home.

Anything hauling commerce requires CDL if it doesn't fall under A or B it's a C license. And give examples of vehicles that required C license.. 26k is not the requirement.. Who owns the freight and equipment depicts CDL requirement..

The definition of commerce in said book depicts when a CDL is required,

Definition of a commercial driver is stated as well in said book..

The only loop hole is IF you own everything then it's moving private property..

Cops are human and make mistakes... They also have to generate revenue under the guise of "public safety"

Dont pull into the weigh station. Drive by like the rest of the pick up trucks. Most are Barney fife and dont know the difference.

Back