having wheels powdercoated?

Lucky Jeff

Stock Sucks
After spray painting one of my wheels, I'm going to go ahead and have them powder coated.. Those that have done it, what do I need to ask for? I want them gloss black (NOT black chrome). And they've got to stand up to all of the crap wheels deal with. Is there a special process I need to look for since they are chrome? How about a coating to protect them? How much did you pay to have yours done?

I powdercoated my own I never put a coating on them and they have held up to the ohio weather i would do it again.

The chrome will need to be abrasive blasted off. You can save a good bit of $$ by doing this yourself if you have the means. Try to find a powder coat that is a epoxy/polyester blend for best UV resistance. Tiger/Drylac powders are some of the best. Just like paint, good prep is essential to a good finish. Here is a link to their color charts.

TIGER Coatings: Color Charts / Brochures

Mine were sand blasted then coated for 400 or 450 bucks...can't remember now.
That's for 22's too...your should be less.

Yea mine are only 20's. I was hoping to keep it in the $400 range so that's good to hear.. Thanks guys

And thanks for the link SINNER, that's what I was lookin for. :Cheer:

I had my stock wheels powder coated black. we had a few issues with one of the wheels...that one wheel had to be redone twice, just because the finish kept coming out kinda "funny". The Powder coater had no problem re-doing it without arguement though. He said that sometimes there are inperfections in the metal of the wheel that the chrome can hide and the powdercoating can't. I Don't know if that was a line of crap or not, but he redid it each time anyway.

Toatal cost was $160 ($40 per wheel).

Are your wheels chrome over aluminum or chrome over steel? If they're chrome over Al, you'll have to have the chrome blasted off then for the best adhesion, the wheels should be heated up in the oven and the powder sprayed on the hot wheels. The way the coater I went to explained it to me, spraying the wheels hot will allow the gases trapped in the aluminum to escape and that lets the coating stick better.

yup you need to prebake cast aluminum or the off gassing will bubble the coating. 400* for 20 minutes then coat and rebake.

definitely something I need to know, thanks guys... Guess I'd better find out if My Helo's are steal or aluminum...

i had my 20 diesels powdercoated matte black. they acid stripped them then powdercoated them. they looked and held up great.

I've had no problems with my powdercoated semi's (the scraths and chips were my fault) but im looking at getting another set and getting them anodized

i painted mine myself with spray paint and they are very glossy and the paints thick no chips or dings and ive had them for months now

If I remember right.. Rich's wheels were chrome before they went black.. His price was pretty much what I have been seeing... Right now they are spray painted black on a friends truck :bang

his also have some chips in them... the ones on my truck have been on three different trucks over a few years, and no chips

Been running the stock aluminum for 2 years powdercoated black. zero issues, still look as good as the day picked them up at coaters. They were the glossy aluminum. Just made sure they were media blasted and preheated as previously mentioned.

Back