he351/s475 or 64/71/14 or ?

91shelbydaytona

I have changed my mind a thousand times in the last couple weeks and have read until my head hurts. The problem is i cant decide what i need for air. I have never ridden in a cummins with anything but a stock charger so i have never experienced lag on a cummins, on the other hand i have drove my bros dmax with a 3.0 on it which is real laggy. The truck will be used to tow a car on trailer most of the time, every now and then a 5th wheel with the d-max on it. I would like to also pull a couple brush pulls and race a little, and most important: mop up some efi dmax's as thats all there is in my town.

the truck is an 01, built auto, p-pump swap (sdx comp dvs, 4k gsk, benched). I was looking at he351 over s475, super b special, d-tech 62 over s4??. I dont know what i need. All I know is this is gonna be a big step from my hy-35/comp/stock auto :lolly:

62/71/14 non gated over an S475 is a very capable combo...if you want less lag maybe a gated 12 or 13cm housing on the secondary.
Neither would be real expensive.

I'm with Rich but for towing mostly and not wanting lag, what about a 62/65/13 for the secondary??

I'm with these guys, a 62/?/12 over a s475 will be perfect for you. I don't think you'll like the lag towing with that single.

I loved my 64/71/14, but my truck was not used to tow as much or as often as yours. I say twins.

im guessing the he351cw is a choking point in a twins set with an s475? What about the d-tech? They are a 62/65/12. Or is the 65 wheel with the 12 housing restrictive? I think a diesel power from not too long ago had a 12v from maximum diesels that had a 64 d-tech with a s480 (i think it was a diesel power source kit) that made like mid 600s on fuel....

I bought an 01 cummins with a 12 valve swap and it has a he351 over a s475 and i have had a lot of problems with it so i havent drove it that much but i would like to have a 650 hp give or take should i ditch the 351 for a 62?

I loved my old hx40/s475 combo, it was a awesome setup...cheaper than an s300, I would imagine an he351/s475 would be good as well.

Last edited:
I bought an 01 cummins with a 12 valve swap and it has a he351 over a s475 and i have had a lot of problems with it so i havent drove it that much but i would like to have a 650 hp give or take should i ditch the 351 for a 62?

Was that a black truck that was listed on here awile back? What kind of problems?

from what i read everyone says the he351cw is better than a hx40 as a single. Now if it is better in a twins set up i do not know as the housing is only 9cm and 60mm turbine wheel? I know a couple people are running he351's in twin setups but how much power they are making i am not sure of. You would think the dp would be extremely high

I've ran the 351 over a 3b and liked it very well. I'm now running a 341 over the 3b, with some 200 sticks and the adrenaline. I tow with the adr. 3000 tune on settings 3 or 4 most of the time. Ex. temps will get up into the 1300's some but it is one of the best towing setups I've had out of the 4 sets of twins I've run. If your after more than 500 horse they are probably to small.

Was that a black truck that was listed on here awile back? What kind of problems?

Yeaup don't wanna ruin this thread so let's just say the dude that built it had no idea what he was doing and i was an idiot for buying it.

Oh Snap!!!

If iys the truck I remember seeing on here, I even thought about buying it..

Well i purchased an he351cw for the twin setup. Im going to run it with a s475 for now and if i later decide to upgrade i can buy a 3rd gen s300 to bolt in up top. Im hoping with this setup to make close to 600 and run high 12s if possible. I going to build it just like roachie did on his fummins build in the extreme fabrication section. also for now going to run 181 dvs in the benched pump and a 7x12 injector most likely.

Back