HE351CW Disassembly (for clocking)

coues7

I need to clock the HE351CW for install on my first gen. Once the huge snap ring is removed you can easily remove and clock the compressor side housing. The exhaust side is held together with a v-band clamp and kept from rotating with a pin. Once the v-band is off can I completely seperate the exhaust side or do I have to undo the bolt (possibly a nut) holding the turbo on?

once you remove the v-band off the cartridge, the cartridge will come out of the exhaust housing.

thereare a couple of small roll pins in the flanges, once you remove he housings they are visible, remove and clock away!

We tried one this weekend and it didn't want to seem to come out. The compressor side came right off.....the turbo side didn't want to come off.

We were able to clock it. That was no big deal. We could not seperate the turbo housing from the cartridge. The compressor side came off the cartridge not problem, but the turbo side would not.

Spray it with wd or other penetrant.. On the line there, set for a bit then use a dead blow to remove.. Clean all the soot out to get it back together easily..

So the cartridge should fully seperate from both housings without removing any blades?

the last one i took apart was a pain! soak it in some atf and then smack it with a hammer. might take a little bit but it will come apart.

Be sure to work your way around the turbo while smacking it with a mallet or hammer.

Back